News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel pump flex line

Started by cokefirst, 2019-12-11 23:46

Previous topic - Next topic

cokefirst

Does anyone know a supplier that sells a good quality fuel pump flex line?  I have purchased some from Larry's and other suppliers and after about  year they turn spongy.  I assume it is the alcohol in the fuel but I would like to find a good quality alcohol resistant replacement.  Thanks
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

hiball3985

Quote from: cokefirst on 2019-12-11 23:46
Does anyone know a supplier that sells a good quality fuel pump flex line?  I have purchased some from Larry's and other suppliers and after about  year they turn spongy.  I assume it is the alcohol in the fuel but I would like to find a good quality alcohol resistant replacement.  Thanks
Me too, everyone I have bought turns to crap.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Look into the Gates Barricade line of fuel hose. I haven't used it, but it claims to be e-85 resistant.

https://ww2.gates.com/common/images/Gates/ezlit/Barricade_Bottom2.jpg
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

Thank you but I think we were referring to the original type that has fittings rather then a piece using clamps. All the aftermarket people sell them and they are probably made off shore with some rubber made from tofu. They look nice and would be ok for a show car but not a driver.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Contibob

I have seen one on evilbay that says it is made for new fuels. ?????????????

hiball3985

Quote from: Contibob on 2019-12-13 22:19
I have seen one on evilbay that says it is made for new fuels. ?????????????
I bought one of those a few years ago, don't know if its the same one. It had a liner made out of I don't know what the material is used for new fuels but the rubber on the outside started falling apart after a few months.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

exactly that, Jim. Mine was in car for about 6 months before the outer rubber started cracking badly. so far it is still holding up and working, but it is also on my to do list before I start driving car next year. I cannot believe all that bad quality junk....we are talking about a fuel hose/line in an engine compartment that has exhaust and electrical stuff next to it! companies get lawsuit because they forgot to write on their coffee mugs, that coffee is hot....I mean....whoa, i am going insane about all this stupidness.  man can fly to the moon and back, how in the world is it possible that we cannot get a good rubber hose anymore....sorry. I just wanted to say that we all need a trouble free and safe fuel flex line. hopefully someone can name a reliable source or I will have to go back to the hose/clamp stuff.

hiball3985

It is sad G, I thought that the TBird suppliers would have a good one but I had no luck there either. I may have to go back to hose/clamp set up also.
I may try going to a company here that makes brake lines, hydraulic hoses etc, and see if they can make me one.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

yes I was thinking about that as well, but over here in Europe it can get difficult to obtain NPTF press fittings. maybe I'll give my local CAT dealer a try or ask at the truck shop. I have been using Italian Ermeto hydraulic hose for fuel hose for years as it is dual layer and appears to be chemical and alcohol resistant for longtime use. I have made good experience with it, it stays pliable and no cracks or leaks at all. it also has a nice cloth texture under the outer rubber layer and the modern printing wipes off easily with brake cleaner. Now I will have to find a way to have press fittings adopted to it. I will  have to dig out the remains of the old flex line to learn the correct thread size.

hiball3985

I'm going to buy a few feet of this and then see if I can have fittings added, if not I'll just use clamps
https://mossmotors.com/barricadetm-ethanol-proof-fuel-hose-by-gates
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

that sounds promising. let's just wait and see if the outer rubber holds up to a little air, sun and engine heat... :003:

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-12-13 07:25
. All the aftermarket people sell them and they are probably made off shore with some rubber made from tofu. They look nice and would be ok for a show car but not a driver.

Jim 
So that's what they are using? Tofu.
  I have to admit that I gave up on the factory looking lines.  The heavy duty hydraulic lines with clamps are working for me with no  problems.   

cokefirst

I found an "almost" suitable hose.  They are made by Now and Then automotive in the east coast.  They are not exactly like the originals as the hose is heavier but they do put the fitting on the end and they appear to hold up to the fuel.  Thanks!!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

hiball3985

Quote from: cokefirst on 2021-02-09 16:01
I found an "almost" suitable hose.  They are made by Now and Then automotive in the east coast.  They are not exactly like the originals as the hose is heavier but they do put the fitting on the end and they appear to hold up to the fuel.  Thanks!!
I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other  :002: so I was unable to find it on their web site
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang