News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Don't Buy Cheap Repair Panels

Started by fdlrc, 2019-01-26 22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

fdlrc

I needed to replace my rear quarter panels. By mistake my friend ordered what he thought we needed from Mac's. He called me when they came in. Before he called me he called UPS because he thought they were damaged in transit they were so bad. Of course deep down he knew they weren't because the packaging was fine. I ordered the ones I wanted to order in the first place from EMS. What a difference! Wish I thought to take pictures. The Mac ones were cut up as needed to make patch panels.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

Good to know, thanks for posting. Some Hamb guys were talking about buying Mac's panels because they were cheaper. Not sure, I think Mac's is under new ownership and if it's now part of the Hoffman group then it's probably gone to hell. Their m.o. is buy a good company, reduce costs by eliminating customer service and have the what-was-once-good-stuff reproduced in China.
Even EMS panels need some massaging to work, but they are by far the best both in form and quality material.
I'm going to copy your post and post it on the thread in the Hamb.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

- headlight repair panels have been a waste of time...NOS or nothing...find a crushed but rust free donor fender
- when the Custom trunk drops first came out, I got a pair from Classic 2 Current(C2C...motorcity-rustrepair on eBay).  One was fit great and the other looked like someone made it with a hammer and bag.  I contacted the manufacturer sent two replacements.  The second fit great.  Good customer service.
- Currently replacing the Raunch Wagon floors.  The floor supports are still good and only small areas of rust in the usual places.  Years ago I parted a picked, wrecked donor with rust free floors...I mean paint on both sides!!  These are super to work with.  Unfortunately, there were a couple of spots that I didn't have OEM patches.  Since I was going to use small pieces, I got a couple of panels for C2C.  These are poor fitting and most of the stampings are shallow and misaligned.  I only needed little patches so 2/3 was thrown out.  These were the cheapest and delivered very quick.  I got what I paid for and expected.  If doing large sections or complete, get the best you can find.
- My '41 project needed quarter patches, tailpan, A-pillar bottoms, and rock box front extensions.  All from EMS and very pleased.  Still not for the faint-of-heart but very good.  I am also fortunate to have a donor car for a patch here and there.

Ford Blue blood

Agree with Gary 100%.  EMS is the best, costly, but every piece I got from them literally dropped in.  The C2C rear floor pans were not quite junk but required much work to get close.  The EMS lower front fender repair panels are the best!  Got a couple of pics in my build thread fitting them.  Some times it just don't make sense to go "cheap"!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

I'm jumping back into my stalled 57 Ranchero project, don't want it to die in the corner :clock:, My body was from Las Vegas, and I thought all I needed was the toe boards. After blasting the floors and going at them with a pick, there is just to much repair work, so I bought  $800 worth of EMS panels. Waiting for the polar vortex to go back where it came from, LOL.   Mark

Ford Blue blood

Have family in WI, Pardeeville, Portage, Baraboo, Antigo, and Prescott.  Talked to all, everybody is going about life as normal.  Guess it all has to do with what you're used to.  Couple of years ago we left the area it was -10, didn't get above freezing until south of Nashville.  All that and the conditions there now just reinforced the reason I wimped out and moved south to AL!  Biggest impact here is the never ending "drama" of the cold.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

fdlrc

Sounds like you tied a snow shovel to your grill and when somebody ask what that funny looking shovel was, you stopped.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Frankenstein57

I manage to carry on in the cold, but being in the plumbing and heating business, -24 degrees doesn't leave you with enough time or energy to get out in the shop

cokefirst

FYI, Mac's is part of the Eckler Family of companies.  They have the Eckler line, along with Rick's Camaro, The El Camino Store, and Dearborn.  Dan
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed