News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wheel Dolly

Started by glenmichael, 2020-01-20 09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, spent the last couple mornings catching up, always surprised how fast an hour can go by!! Had a chance to use a Christmas gift Santa left under the tree. Red Hound Wheel  Dolly's, the tires fit ( 255/60-15 ) the back of the car moves like it was on ice, the front not so much, I found if I turn the steering wheel and get bottom wheels going in the correct direction the car moves better. First time I've used a set of car skates ( I'm 66 years old and 180 pounds ) with these I moved the 57 from one side of the garage to the other fairly easy..

gasman826

They're suppose to help with flat spotting.  Unfortunately, they easily pop out from under the tires when you try to move the car.  I think the really expensive ones with internal jacks do not have this problem.  I found that locking the brakes really helps.

RICH MUISE

When I was building my car in a one car makeshift garage with a dirt floor, I picked up a cheap set of those dollies from Harbor freight. Depending on which side of the car I was working, I had to move it sideways to make room. Laid down a piece of 3/4 plywood for the dollies to roll on, and just scooted the car over!
When I pulled the drivetrain from the donor mark VIII, I used one under the tranny. Worked great. (Engines in those Marks drop down to remove, not up.)
I used one of their cheap moving dollies to drop the engine end of the drivetrain onto. Rolled it on out, and then used a cherry picker to lift the engine off the dollies and into the '57. They both work great when you need low height dollies.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe