News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 installed into a '56 Ford

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-04-05 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

By any chance does anyone here have any specifics as to why a 4.6 modular will not fit into a '56 Ford Fairlane without a Fatman or similar clip. I've got some friends that want to do the swap, and I'm telling them it won't work without major frame/suspension alterations. I'd like to give them specifics if I can.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

I don't know that it won't.   I've seen a 4.6 two cammer in one at Cruisin the Coast, and a friend of mine and dad's has just put one in a 56 Crown Vic.  Dad has put a 4 cammer in a 55 or 56 Lincoln.  Check with him, he might know...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Just saw your response, James, Thanks. Thor had sent me a link to an article with lots of pics on one guy's installation into a '55 Fairlane with stock suspension. Very tight fit, lots of fabrication of motor mount and tranny mount. A little more clearance cutting on the frame and engine crossmember than I would have liked if it were mine, but all in all, not horible.
The worst part to me seemed to be to move the engine far enough forward to clear the firewall and floorpan, the starter was ending up about 1/2 way through the engine crossmember. They cut a big notch 1/2 way through the crossmember and boxed it in for clearance.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

That sounds like they tried to install it very low in the chassis, like a scrub motor.  If you set the motor up so that the crank centerline is the same as the stock engine, you shouldn't have to butcher up the crossmember.  I can't see having to cut the member for the starter, crazy.  The starter is higher on the mod motors than it is on the other engine families, so it should clear automatically.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.