News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New toy....lathe

Started by rmk57, 2020-10-24 21:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Picked it up a couple months ago and couldn't be more happy with it. South bend 10k built in the mid-60's and shows very little wear on the bed ways, cross slide. I'm no pro machinist by any means but for bushings, stepped bolt's and whatever it does the job.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

New toys...best toys! LOL!!! Have fun! Winter just got more tolerable in your nest.  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

FiveSevenLiter

Beauty, I was told they were the smartest machine in the world as they are only machine that could make themselves.
Missed a deal on some years ago, a local school district had an auction getting rid of stuff.  I stopped in thinking there would be a bunch of pencils and lunch kits and I was shocked at what they were selling.  I bought a 20 foot extension ladder that I still use. 2 metal tub Shop Vacs (sold one, using the other one later today), a new Honda mower that they had mixed 2-cycle fuel in (sold it and made $600.00).  The lathes sold for $30.00 each before I got there.  I am still pissed and that was 30 years ago.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

CobraJoe

I've had my old South Bend for over 25 years, best piece of equipment in the shop; once you have one, you wonder how you ever got along without one.
You're going to find yourself using it more and more....

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

rmk57

One cool feature of this lathe is the gearbox thread pitch plate. It's a Canadian company who I doubt had anything to do with the manufacturing of any of the parts. I've asked a few South Bend people and they thought the lathes were shipped to Canada in pieces to avoid paying import duties on a complete lathe. Makes sense I guess.
  Funny enough on the covers, tailstock, bed and all the chucks and other tooling I got with it have VSB2 engraved on them. VSB2... Vancouver School Board, lathe #2.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Just saw this. Nice score, and it looks to be unbelievable shape.......clean and shiney, the ways look to be in great shape.! Did you get any attachments with it? 4 jaw chuck, live center, etc etc.
I never ran one. The shops I worked in ran mostly Hardinge for their tool room lathes. Didn't run them much either...I was a Bridgeport guy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Rich, I did get extra tooling with it. 5" Elliott 3 jaw chuck, British made, 6" CVA 4 jaw chuck also British made, 5" Kobayashi 3 jaw chuck that's never been mounted, Japanese, 8" face plate. 3 Jacobs drill chucks, one that threads directly to the spindle. A live center and a few M2 drill bits and a few HSS cutters.
It didnt come with a motor so I picked up a brand new 3-phase motor from my neighbor and a VFD drive to convert single to 3-phase. Works like charm.

Yes, it's in very nice shape. You can still faintly see the factory scraping marks on the ways. This one is a keeper.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I've watched those old time craftsman way scrapers work.....amazing stuff. That's a nice complement of tooling you got. Those 4 jaw chucks come in handy for the oddball stuff that isn't round and/or concentric.
Now I'm curious about the 3 phase..............is this at your house or in an industrial area? I was totally surprised when I discovered my house had 3 phase 220 in the garage as it almost never happens in a residential area. It probably helped that I'm across the street from a commercial zone.

Another story time..........In my first month of apprenticeship back in the 60's, I had a job set up for me on a new Hardinge tool room lathe. It was just hand polishing some ss shafts, about 10" long, that had been turned down with a fine finish. The guy that set it up had it on a very high speed and a live center in the tailstock for support.
So, I'm working along and the foreman walked by a little bit later and said, oh ****! Take that live center out of there, you're gonna burn it up! So I did. The guy in front of me almost pooped his pants when that piece came flying out, took a little chunk out of the bed ways, hit the ceiling,.and bounced around some more........I was about 4 shades of white. Luckely no one was hurt.

That machine shop was in the lower level under Bowmar. Remember them?? The "Bowmar Brain" was a hand held computer. They were in competition with Texas Instruments. Guess who won.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

We have just 220 volt single phase coming into out house. I bought a 230 volt variable frequency drive that converts single phase to 3 phase power. It's great little setup with the vfd as you can infinitely adjust your motor rpm, start / stop times among other things that I'll probably never use.

Heres a article on the different types and applications of phase converters and VFD's........https://www.wolfautomation.com/blog/phase-converters-vs-vfds/#:~:text=A%20digital%20phase%20converter%20uses,the%20frequency%20and%20motor%20speed.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

That's not a toy...it is a real lathe.  PIC is a toy.  Three in one combo lathe, mill, drill press that is made in China.  Smithy is OK for drilling a little hole or making a bushing but not for real serious parts.  It was cheap and it fits into the shop.

CobraJoe

Same thing here Gary, bad link   bawl
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

Gary, doesn't matter if it's PhotoFu*kit, Imgur, Google (probably the worst at sharing) or using this forum to host a pic, once it's on the InterWeb, everyone has it.
I too, got screwed by PhotoFu*kit when i was running my on websites, but to be honest with you, even if we spent the money for a server, it really wouldn't change anything in the end as people can still copy your info, and if you stop paying for the server, well...
I made a folder called "Posted Already", and every time I drag a picture into Imgur, I drag it into that folder also, that way, no matter what, i will always have a copy saved in case someone decides to hold our pics for ransom like Photobucket did.

Just my $0.02

rmk57

This is the lathe I sold to purchase the South Bend. Myford ML7, British built, quality little machine with a huge following so it wasn't very hard to sell. The only problem was everything is British whitworth and most all the tooling has to come from overseas.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429