News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cordless impact wrench

Started by rmk57, 2021-02-11 09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I've decided to break down and buy one. Firing up my compressor and waiting for a 80 gallon tank to fill is ridiculous. Looking at the Dewalt DCF 899 or the Milwaukee 2767 M18 fuel.

Both have 700- 900 lbs. fastening torque and 1200 lbs. of nut busting removal torque.  Milwaukee even has a compact 3/8 impact with 400 lbs. torque that could be worth a look.

What's everyone else using out there?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

I still have my 1/2" air gun, although I do have CP and Bosch battery powered 1/4" & 3/8" impacts. When I was still working at the dealership, a few of the younger Techs had new 1/2" drive impacts. They seemed to have decent power, although I find the numbers listed laughable. I mean, really, 1200 ft/lbs thru a 1/2" square piece of metal? I don`t think so. I tried a couple of the electric impact guns, mainly MAC & Snap On, but I was suprised at how heavy they were. May not be a big deal if you are only using it now and then, but I doubt that it would be very enjoyable lifting that weight all the time, day after day. Plus, a good cordless impact, with a charger and spare battery is quite expensive, especially for a hobbyist. I do have a decent 20 Volt Mastercraft 1/2" impact that I keep in the race car trailer, for use at the race track, or if I had to change a tire on the truck or trailer on a road trip, that was about $200. Canadian from Canadian Tire. It`s not terribly heavy, and although I don`t recall it`s torque rating, it will spin the lug nots of my F350 Dually pretty good, on a full battery.  That may be good enough for your needs Randy.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Your "CP".......Central Pneumatics"? harbor freight? They're adding new lines to their tools, although all are Harbor Freight brands. I've considered one from them, but it's no secret I'm a HF freak because there are very few tools I need to last a lifetime, although, for me, most of theirs will. One group I'm not sold on of theirs are the battery-operated stuff, because of their batteries, not necessarily the tool itself.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

I have an old CP (Chicago Pneumatics) air wrench but like I mentioned kind of waste of time and wear and tear waiting for the compressor to build air to change tires over. I also like the idea of

being able to take it along with me if I'd ever need it. Makita has a nice mid-range 1/2" cordless I may look into. 450 fastening and around 600 loosening torque, lighter and smaller than the

heavy duty model. KMS Tools has a big 3-day sale coming up and they maybe blowing some of these out cheap or cheaper.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

I just haven't gotten that impatient yet. I can spin lug nuts off when the 80 gallon is 1/2 full...so that's how long I wait. I have a tire machine too...so to fix the flat...I need the air.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-02-11 16:53
Your "CP".......Central Pneumatics"? harbor freight? They're adding new lines to their tools, although all are Harbor Freight brands. I've considered one from them, but it's no secret I'm a HF freak because there are very few tools I need to last a lifetime, although, for me, most of theirs will. One group I'm not sold on of theirs are the battery-operated stuff, because of their batteries, not necessarily the tool itself.
No, I meant Chicago Pneumatic. Although it is kinda funny that a company with Pneumatic in their name would be selling non air tools, isn`t it?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

FiveSevenLiter

Randy,
When I worked at the fire truck factory, the guys on the floor used Canadian Tire impacts for assembly.  No issues.  I ended up buying one for my son, I think they were on special for $79.95.  I should have got one for myself, instead I now have two compressors.  If you are using air make sure that you use the correct fittings.  My buddy was the CP rep and they had a constant issue with guys using the cheapest fittings (smallest diameter) instead of the size that the tool was designed to use for maximum torque and hammer.
T
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Ford Blue blood

I have a main cutoff valve on the air line into the shop.  My compressor is full all the time.  When I go on a trip I cut off the power to it.  Get back, hit the switch and it is ready for use.

I too am leery of the HF batteries.  Their air tools are for all practical purposes throw away.  I have gone through three air files from them over the twenty years, still have room for a couple more given the price of commercial brands.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I probably have at least a dozen of the HF air tools, and the only one I've ever had a problem with is the air file......twice. They all are power hungry. When I'm working on the car, I also leave my compressor on 24/7. We now have 2 HFs in town.......one just opened 6 months ago about a mile from my house.
BTW, it's 13* out and looks cold outside.... a good day to stay by the fireplace.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-02-12 08:13
.....We now have 2 HFs in town.......one just opened 6 months ago about a mile from my house.
BTW, it's 13* out and looks cold outside.... a good day to stay by the fireplace.

That's not good........too easy to get lost!

Yup, mid 30s, rain, lounging jammies today!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

SkylinerRon

Probably using the C-P name to play on the old Chicago Pneumatic name.

A lot of imported junk products are using old defunct American products names for brand id these days.

geraldchainsaw

for my birthdays i asked the kids to buy me a impact gun for each of my cars,   u know how easy it is to brake the nuts when changing flats on the road?,   they work great

CobraJoe

I'm a little late to the party, but I carry a Dewalt DCF 899 with me on road trips, that thing has some serious torque.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2021-10-19 17:25
I'm a little late to the party, but I carry a Dewalt DCF 899 with me on road trips, that thing has some serious torque.

Personally...I carry a nightstick, a flashlight that would be more effective than the nightstick (read painful) and a cooler with my water and pop in it. I'm good for 600 miles per load of water and pop. Oh...and my AAA card! Never leave home without it!   :003: :006: :005:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

I am like blue blood, my compressor is full all the time.  It sounds to like you guys need to fix some leaks.