News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cragar SS 15x8 w. 4.25 BS and 235/70s on a Custom?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-03-04 05:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

My 57 Custom has at least 5"-6" of inside and outside rear tire clearance measuring from the axle mounting flange.  I'm considering using the standard 15x8 Cragar SS with 4.25" backspacing and 235/70 Radial TAs all around.  Anyone know if this combination will fit without issues?

4banger

You will need 5 1/2 " back space, 2 1/2" outside with the 8". If you can get more then 2 1/2" outside, then God Bless You.

57AGIN

Ford_Crazy:

My Custom 300 has the following front & rear Cragar SS setup.

Front   Cragar 15x7.0 5/4.50-4.75-5 STD S/S-Cragar  (info on the order form) mounted with P225/60R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radials.

Rear     Cragar 15X8.0 5/4.50-4.75-5 STD S/S-Cragar mounted with P255/60R15 BF Goodrich T/A Radials.

Pictures below.  I did have to trim the inner fender well lip on the rear a bit to fit the rear tires in and have to undo the shocks, rear shackle and drop the axle housing to get the tires in or out.  Up front, I found that with the wider 60 series tires I had to put a 1/2" spacer between the rim and front disc brakes due to occasional rubbing in tight turns.

Hope this helps with your decisions.  I saw a response the other day on a similar question about the back spacing available on the Cargar S/S mags.  I didn't actually measure my backspacing, but the sales guy said it was the maximum done by Cragar and had 4.5" back spacing.  Good luck.

Bob
57AGIN

Ford_Crazy

I'm trying to see if the standard 8" Cragar SS wheels will work.  According to the measurments on my car, they will. The 8" standard Cragar SS wheels have 4 1/4" BS.  I have 5 inches from the axle mounting flange to the inner fender lip on the rear. With 4 1/4" back spacing, that leaves 3 3/4" of front spacing. Add 1" for the tire flex and??  Surely all of you guys aren't running custom order wheels.  Or are you?  :003:

4banger

It might clear at the center point of the wheel well, but wouldn't clear towards the back of the quarter panel where it tapers down and in.

Bubba

Bros:
I just checked the Cragar data on the Newstalgia Wheels web site.
15X8 wide with the 4.5" bolt circle is listed as being available, but you need to check the type of Cragar SS wheel you want to order, there are 6 different types and not all the SS types are available in that diameter, width, bolt pattern, and back spacing  combination.

15X7 wide in that bolt pattern and back spacing are not standard and may not be available on special order, some dealers say yes, some say no.  A word of caution I have a Bud who ordered 15X7 Cragar's with a 4.5 in back space special order and when he got them they were 4.250 back space.
BuBBa

Ford_Crazy

Interesting.  Anyone out there running standard off-the-shelf Cragar Classic SS Wheels on a Custom or Ranchero? What size tires? I see lots of cars in the Gallery with these wheels and have a hard time believing they were all special ordered.  I'm not after the biggest tires possible, just a nice 60s look.  Thanks!