News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

WTB torque converter

Started by glen b henderson, 2013-12-20 07:16

Previous topic - Next topic

glen b henderson

WTB FOM converter for a Y Block, I need the one piece unit that was available with 58 thru 64 y blocks both car and truck. Of course the car would have only been thru 62. The one that I need will have four studs that bolt it too the flex plate. It will have two drive tangs that engage the pump drive like the 57 two piece unit.
Freedom is not Free

Hoosier Hurricane

Glen:
Did the two piece converter I sent you a seal for not work?
John

glen b henderson

Yes it will work John just fine for the 53 pickup, but I have a couple of the later flexplates and while I am building transmissions, I thought that I would build a FMX for the 57 custom. I have one of the later converters, but the pump drive tangs are rounded of quite a bit, so I am concerned about using it. I may have to see if I can find someone to rebuild it. Just thought someone on here might have one stuck back.
Freedom is not Free

Hoosier Hurricane

Glen:
The classified forum probably is the wrong place for a discussion, but I have a quick note for you.  Leave the FMX front pump on, use a converter from a small block/Fmx combo, and machine a bushing for the front of the converter, 1 3/8" ID x 1.573 OD by 1/2" long to adapt the converter nose to the Y block.
John

glen b henderson

Dang John, I knew that, but I guess old timers is setting in! Now to dig around and see if I have a small pilot torque converter. I don't think Potter will mind us discussing it here as the FMX topic comes up from time to time. He may want to move it to the trans topic.
Freedom is not Free