News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rack and pinion conversions.

Started by maurits1947, 2008-06-04 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

maurits1947

Does any one know what rack to use for a conversion for a 57 ford?
I know Wurthit makes a kit, I'm just not in the market for a $1700 conversion
if I can find the rack and fabricate the required parts myself.  I know it's unfair to those who
do all the leg work etc.  But he or she can profit by those who do not have the
where with all to do their own thing.

Thank you
Maurits1947

Frankenstein57

The popular rack is a Chevy Cavalier part, mid 80's to early 90's. If you dig around in the old posts you might find part #'s. I recently pulled the same rack from a 93 grandam, 4 door. My brother has a salvage license ,so I get some free stuff to play with now and then. I read where the Z24 cavalier, had a quicker rack. I recently pulled a rack from a 96 Intrepid, interesting piece. It has a center pull tie rod location like the cavalier, but it uses a thicker ram,and better mounting brackets. The only negative thing I see is the steering shaft comes out at a flatter angle , requiring more hime joints. My racer buddy is buying a house with a lift in the shop, he says we can start fabbing later this summer. I hope to post some photos, can't wait! Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, just do it right, be safe. thanks, Mark

frosty

The intrepid rack is like a front wheel  rack.I tried one an it turns the oppisite way I want to go HAHA. So I used a 97 t bird rack. I had to drill new holes farther back for the tie rod ends to give me more turning  radius.

maurits1947

Frankenstein, Frosty, thanks for the info Guys.  Of course the easy way (expensive) would be to hang a Mustang II (boredom 0) clip on the car, and it would also be easier to install a 351W at that point, but I don't want to hack the car up that much.  Currently I have a 289 with a toploader, not a rocket but a nice driver.  Will be putting disc brakes (72 Torino) on this summer.  Should be a fairly straight forward job.  If you have any other suggestions or better yet, diagrams or pictures would be appreciated.

Frankenstein57

Frosty, the intrepid rack is a rear steer rack. It bolts right on the firewall,what do you mean by it only steers one way?  Mark

frosty

From what I hear granda would be better, I used 72 ltd brakes, and in order to get it alligned i had to cut the lower arms an add a half inch to them the that set the 8 inch wide wheels at the outside fenders, It handles good but it was alot of work. I do not know  if any one else has had to do it but most used granda from what I have heard, Good luck

frosty

Well that is what I got when I set it up for my 57. The  dodge interpid i got mine off of was a 2001, so I do not know if yours is different but check it out first. when I saw it on the dodge I thought the same but after I made all the brackets an in stalled it surprise. It would not work. good luck