News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New guy here with a Ranchero.

Started by Tom S, 2012-05-29 04:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

I have wanted a ?57 Ranchero for decades.  Pretty hard to find around these parts.  For that matter any ?57 Ford is hard to find.  On top of that anything old is usually rusted out. 

Well, about the only ?57 Ranchero that I can remember seeing on the street for years finally came up for sale.  But it?s actually a ?58.  With a ?58 Edsel front clip.  And *shudder* about a 1960  Mopar 225 slant six with an auto trans. 

Where I found it, Craigslist ad pic. 

I took out the center piece of that Edsel grille.  I think it looks better that way.

Almost hate to post these pix. I think it looks pretty poor in flat black.

Interior needs some help.  The dash & seat aren?t too bad.  The guy chromed the window moldings.

The big slant six.  It?s gotta go.  It has a cam & an Offy valve cover. 

Another odd thing is that it?s actually titled as a ?58 Edsel!  The data plate does I.D. it as a ?58 Ranchero.

The plan is to put in a low mile 302 that I already have & a stick trans.  I hate automatic transmissions.  Swapped an Offy 3-two intake maniford for a 3 speed + overdrive trans.  It?s like a top loader 4 speed but 4th is overdrive.  I think I got the best of the deal there.  The guy is giving me his ?57 clutch linkage too.
I do have a nice ?66 390 with a 4 barrel that I?ve wanted to put into something for years but with gas at $4.50 a gallon for regular here now....?  The overdrive should work well with the 3:56 rear gears.

The body is very solid in this car. I do think it has a lot of ?Bondo? though.  The guy did a lot of work, replaced quarter panels, etc.  He took out the bed floor & replaced it with different metal.  ?Diamond plate? stuff.  The spare tire is now under a panel under the bed where a spare would be on a station wagon.  The stand pipe at the left front of the bed is the filler for the 32 gallon aluminum gas tank.  Stock tank leaked.

Years ago I actually sold the guy parts for this Ranchero.  The windshield in it is the one I sold him.  Sold him some other small parts too.  Dash parts?

I hope to make it look a lot like this ?57.

I am looking for the stainless side trim/moldings like the ones outlined here.  If anyone has any of this please let me know.  I will post/beg in the parts wanted section.

A question about windshield prices.  The friend I?m getting the trans & clutch linkage from has just got a ?57 Tudor wagon.  His windshield is destroyed.  Anyone know where to get a good price on one?  How much do these go for?  Mine is now cracked too. Was perfect when I sold it.

Like to point out that I?m not new to this stuff.  Been into it for a long time but got back into motorcycles 16 years ago & have forgot a lot that I used to know.  I needed another project like I needed another hole in my head but I had to jump on this Ranchero or I?d regret it for the rest of my life.  I?m old & tired & working on cars ain?t as easy as it used to be.  Especially if it involves getting up & down on that cold garage floor.
As proof of some past deeds I might as well stick in a couple pix of my ?31/?32 Roadster.  Spent a lot of years on this.  These things are never done & I didn?t start from scratch.  Original 1963 406, factory three two intake, 4 speed, 9? rear.  What with 4 bikes in the garage and 2 in the living room my ?baby? never gets out anymore.
It ain?t a ?show car?, just a ?Street Rod?.  No billet stuff, original steel & home built goodies all the way.

Any other members here in Alaska?

JimNolan

TomS,
   Someone went to a lot of trouble customizing that 57 Ranchero. That'll be nice when you get through with it. That engine that's in it is one of the best little engines they ever made. 225ci/145hp, drove one for years. I've seen other Ranchero's with Edsel front ends, they are attention getters. Thanks for posting the pictures. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

glen b henderson

I love the roadster! Good job and don't worry about being old and tired, most of us on this site are in the same boat.
Freedom is not Free

F570RD

Edsel clip.....Love it!The Roadster....gimme....now.Good go'n Tom,very nice rides.

Tom S

Quote from: JimNolan on 2012-05-29 05:27... That engine that's in it is one of the best little engines they ever made. 225ci/145hp, .....
Yeah, for years I've read about how great those are but I really don't know why that is.  Nevertheless it's gotta go.  I know hardly anything about them & have no parts.
Besides that it has an automatic transmission. 
Been a Ford guy forever & have lots of Ford parts.
Yeah, I do like the Edsel nose.  Still, I'd be very happy with a '57 front end.  Too bad the Edsel has 4 headlites.

Thanks for the comments guys. 
Nobody has any cost or availability info on a windshield or the stainless side trim/moldings?  Sounds like Gasman has one fender piece that he's gonna check out for me.

Zapato

Tom,

Welcome, have always liked the Edsel nose on a Ranchero fits perfect and gets double takes. Guess if you'd really want to have a single headlight you could cut a pair of ford fenders and weld the noses on.

On your windshield and trim, go back to the Home page and just below this section is supplier link section, very top is wrecking yards. Don't have personal experience with most but have dealt with Clayton in Oregon. Fair prices and honest on condition stated.

i'm sure there is probably a glass source in there just never looked. just be sure you get the right windshield if dealing with used glass as there 2 different sizes.

There is also a For Sale/Wanted section at the bottom of the home page. Check there for your needs. And of course post them there. Not everyone will read all the way thru threads. You want double exposure so when its proper do both. Its worked both ways for me.

Also this is a small board compared to others, often it'll take a few days to get a response so patience pays off.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rmk57

I kind of like the Edsel front clip, I had a 58' Villager a few years back. I'd complete the Edchero conversion and get the 58 Edsel wagon taillights.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

there was an Edchero done on the HAMB awhile back and it was incredible, have to agree the taillights makes it special.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rmk57

To make it really authentic you have to get the filler pieces for the taillights of coarse but also the Edsel Roundup side moldings. Good luck on that as they only made a little over 900 2-door Edsel wagons.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Frankenstein57

Nice car, I'd go for it and do the Edsel. Don't think I ever saw a street rod with a 406, or with the cast iron headers. That is so cool, thanks for sharing. Whats the deal on the plates?   :003: Mark

Tom S

Quote from: Zapato on 2012-05-29 15:59On your windshield and trim, go back to the Home page and just below this section is supplier link section, very top is wrecking yards. Don't have personal experience with most but have dealt with Clayton in Oregon. Fair prices and honest on condition stated.

There is also a For Sale/Wanted section at the bottom of the home page.
Thanks, Zap.  Yes I have been lurking here for a while & checked out the supplier link section & a couple of the wrecking yards.  Not sure I checked the Clayton one though.  Thanks for the tip.
I did search the For Sale/Wanted sections & posted in both.  Already got a promising reply in 'Wanted' from Suede57ford.  Cool!

Guys, I'm sticking with the big, round '57 style tail lites.  I like 'em & the round tail lites are almost a Ford icon clear back to 1952 & were that style on so many Ford built cars.  The Edsel wagon lites are a little different but I gotta pass on those.  Ain't got none anyway. 

I did get a '58 Edsel service manual with the car.  There are also a lot of small parts that I haven't picked up yet.  Not sure what all might be in there.  There is some kind of stainless trim but I can't really see it in the pile.  I think it is Edsel Wagon stuff.

Tom S

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2012-05-29 22:44
Nice car, I'd go for it and do the Edsel. Don't think I ever saw a street rod with a 406, or with the cast iron headers. That is so cool, thanks for sharing. Whats the deal on the plates?   :003: Mark
Yeah the Roadster is pretty cool & has a lot of kinda rare parts, especially the 406.  I wrote up a whole history story about it for some guys, mostly Brits, on  a motorcycle site devoted to Yamaha TDMs.  They kept asking about it after it showed up in one of my bike pix, so...  Kind of long, maybe not appropriate to put here.
Which plates?  I'd like to see more pix of your Ranchero.  Got a link to some so I don't have to search

gasman826

FOUND IT!  Right side front fender spear.  Needs polishing but no dents.  Checked USPS website...four plus pounds...60" long...about $18.00 First Class Priority Mail.  Parcel Post about $5.00 cheaper.  Add in tracking and faster service and less chance of loss/damage, Priority is the better deal.  A good shipping tube is the weight.  $4.00 for the shipping tube.  That makes $22.00 to you. 

I see someone else has offered a whole set.  The shipping might be a better deal per piece if you get it all at one source.  Just a thought.

Frankenstein57

I was curious about your license plates,  "58"  and 31ford, those are the real Alaska issued?  My Ranchero pics are mostly random links that I posted on. I'll have to have one of the kids help me set up a photo link.  Mark

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-05-30 08:18
FOUND IT!  Right side front fender spear.  Needs polishing but no dents. ...
Thanks, Gasman!  That sounds good.  But I'd best wait & see what Suede57 comes up with as he says he has a whole set.  Thanks for the shipping info too.  I still need to take a measurement for those long rear quarter side pieces & see if the USPS can mail them.