News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What's on this dash?

Started by jrw429, 2012-05-31 00:24

Previous topic - Next topic

KULTULZ

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2012-06-06 01:06

The knob under the dash is the choke (6 cyl) because of the optional cigar lighter (on a Custom) is in the dash bezel.

Regards,
Ron

The MANUAL CHOKE CONTROL (6 cyl only- V8 models had an auto choke) was located in the normal lighter position.

The control knob under the dash is the OVERDRIVE cable.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

KULTULZ

I was reading old threads the other night and came across this subject-

Quote from: Partsman on 2012-05-31 09:37

That is actually a recirculating heater. It does not have a fresh air intake. They were on some cars from cold weather areas such as Montanna North Dakota and other northern states.  

The warm air was recycled in the passenger compartment because in really cold weather it took a long time to warm up interior.  I have seen several of these when I was working for Ford dealers.  Driving down the road no air ran through the heater.  They were not dealer installed but ordered from the factory with this option. Not very common.

Actually, there were two heater options available  (in addition to HEATER DELETE) (WO optional AC equipped) offered in 1957, one the MAGICAIRE SYSTEM  and the other RECIRCULATING AIR HEATER. The RAH was the lower cost option. It sourced no outside fresh air although the car did have the standard fresh air vents (L & R). The RAH also had a defroster mode.

From 1957 OWNERS MANUAL-

RECIRCULATING AIR HEATER.

Push in the R. AIR and L. AIR knobs. Turn the heater knob to operate the two speed fan. To defrost the windshield, pull the heater knob out, then turn on the fan. In warm weather, turn off the heater valve in the engine compartment.

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

57AGIN

Kultulz:

You are correct on both accounts.  In my 57 AGIN, I relocated the RECIRCULATING AIR HEATER control into the space that used to be occupied by the lighter.  No one smokes in or around my 57.  lol  I replaced the empty heater control space with a fabricated two gauge mount and have "real" Oil Pressure and Water Temperature gauges installed.  I never really did like taking my eyes off the road long enough to read gauges installed under the dash.  I guess sometimes having the less expensive (i.e., cheap) set up pays off.  :burnout:

I'm having a poster storyboard made up for my 57 and it has a shot of my dash set up in the background of the entire board.  It sure is amazing what can be done with PhotoShop and some imagination.  I really like what the guy designing the storyboard came up with.

Bob
57 AGIN 

RICH MUISE

Really nice job on the storyboard Bob. Like yours, except just a Custom, mine was also all white, 6 with three on the tree. Things change don't they?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KULTULZ

BEAUTIFUL TU-TONE PAINT SCHEME!  :icon_thumleft:
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Lou

Waynes place is about 50 miles from me, I know of a really good restuant up that way, so some Saturday when the wife and I have the XL out,  i'll try and stop by and take i good look at the wagon.