News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

progress on the console

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-11-27 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   I had the same problem with the Galaxie console I redid in Dad's car. The console came out good, but when I added the padding to the arm rest it wrinkled on the corners. What type of adhesive do you use? I bought some rattle can stuff, but didn't like the product I used. I ended up using the contact cement on all the edges. Remember you are always your worst critic! I think you did a great Job! :003:
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

One of the reasons I ended up redoing, or reattaching every piece I had covered was the use of the spray can stuff...and I tried them all...none of them held up to heat. What I finally ended up using was what I should have gone with in the first place...the weldwood Landau roof contact adhesive that the big boys use. Not only would I have saved all the redoing time, but I would have saved a bunch of bucks. a $20 HF spraygun works great if you thin it just a bit with acetone. Unfortunatly, nobody in my area sells it, so I have to pick it up on a Dallas or Phoenix trip..or have it ups'd. I think the last Gallon I got in Phoenix was 24.00. Compare that to a 14. spraycan. The other thing I learned with adhesives is that it won't work with regular primers..just disolves it. You have to use epoxy primer and let it cure well before covering.
The wrinkling problem comes in to play when you just use a foam padding. On my dash where I felt a stiffer padding was a good safety idea, I applied 4 or 5 coats of liquid rubber roofing coating over the foam. The Rubber gave it a perfect density, and I was also able to really pull and tug on the vinyl eliminating most of the wrinkles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Rich,
   Thanks for the info, I will try to find the adhesive!
Thanks,

gasman826

Since you have a steamer and it would cost nothing but time, I encourage you to experiment with steam.  The upholstery shop where I work from time to time (for free to learn stuff), uses steam all the time on vinyl.  When I install seat cover replacements, vinyl upholstery material, vinyl flooring, carpet, any manufactured material, heat is my friend.  In the summer, I lay large pieces of material in the sun just to get it to warm up and relax.  Other than steam, most other heat sources run the chance of damaging the material.

57 Ford Kustom

Gasman,
   Thanks for the tip, my wife has a steamer. I will try it out, I plan on redoing the console, I didn't like the way the first came out.
Thanks,

RICH MUISE

I forgot to mention, as Gary said,anytime I've got to do alot of stretching, I always heat the area...Although I haven't been using steam, just a few careful passes with a heat gun.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe