News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Do we need

Started by Zapato, 2013-08-06 17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

a permanent thread where non stock part numbers can be stored? Often someone finds a solution to a problem and has all the relevant info but then gets lost in a thread. Case in point is the Monroe-Matics shocks that Jim Nolan found and posted on but no number available now. This is a great example as Jim found a callout for a 56 Ford that is different than a 57. Which is interesting as many catalogs read the same shock number for 49 thru 59 Fords.

Would work great if it became a moderated list that would not allow any comments so that it could stay compact and truly useful.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Alright,
   I found the website again. Moroe Matic Shock part no. 31125 fits a 1956 Ford Fairlane. It's compressed length is 12.250" ( 1.500" longer than 57 shock).  It's extended length is 20.750" ( 3.500" longer than a 57 Fairlane Shock). Stem mount, stem length and thread size and pitch are the same as well as barrel diameter. The part no. for a 57 Fairlane shock is 31069. Jim

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hiball3985

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-08-06 17:41
a permanent thread where non stock part numbers can be stored? Often someone finds a solution to a problem and has all the relevant info but then gets lost in a thread. Case in point is the Monroe-Matics shocks that Jim Nolan found and posted on but no number available now. This is a great example as Jim found a callout for a 56 Ford that is different than a 57. Which is interesting as many catalogs read the same shock number for 49 thru 59 Fords.

Would work great if it became a moderated list that would not allow any comments so that it could stay compact and truly useful.

Zap- :unitedstates:
I think that is an excellent idea. I know I have read a solution to a problem or some good modification and when I go back to search I play hell finding it again and then have to beg for help.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

One caution on using longer shocks.  If the shock extends farther, it also bottoms out sooner.  '57 upper, rear shocks mounts are not real strong.  If the car was to bottom out with longer shocks, the shocks will bottom out rather than the rear end bottoming out on the bumpers.  Most likely, the upper mounts will break. 
I understand the desire to make tire removal easier.  I have to unhook the shocks and the air bags to get the rear end down far enough to get the tire to clear the fender.

Frankenstein57

I was thinking the same thing, if you had a low ride height in the back you could blast that shock all to hell . :blob8:

Tom S

Quote from: JimNolan on 2013-08-06 18:12I found the website again. Moroe Matic Shock part no. 31125 fits a 1956 Ford Fairlane.
I must have missed it.  Is that front, rear?  I do think you are talking about rear shocks. This is just for passenger cars & not wagons & Ranchero rear shocks?
Link?

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm not telling anyone to run 56 Fairlane Shocks instead of the original shocks that were designed to go on a 57. I also won't tell you to lower it to make it look like a dog dragging it's ass across the carpet. Or, have it's rear up in the air far enough to look like it's waiting for a cheby to come along and hump it.
   What I am telling the group of individuals that keep the stock ride height of their 57 Ford is that after 3 years of running the 31125 Monroe-Matic Shock on my 57 Fairlane I have had no problems. That's about 30K miles. I just wonder when the test period should be up. LOL Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Well put, Jim.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe