News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Spring Carlisle SCORE

Started by Capt997, 2014-04-25 16:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt997

I suffer from anxiety and really struggle to do anything out of my daily routine.  I've been planning to go to Carlisle and the FE Reunion at nearby Beaver Springs for some time as both my Custom 300 and Business coupe are FE powered.  Yesterday when I woke up, I was dreading the 2 hour drive to stay with a friend near both events, and almost cancelled the trip, but decided to just take it one step at a time, making the drive yesterday, and then today I really had to push myself to go to the flea market and almost turned around twice before getting there.  Just 15 minutes through the gate, I came across an NOS 57 hood for $350.  I have a  usable hood(barely) and was really in need of fenders so I told him I would stop back on my way out and if it was still there I would take it. I had only brought $500 with me, not expecting to find anything and didn't want to walk around with no money.
    Sometime later, as I was getting sore and was thinking of leaving but only had a few more aisles to walk, I came across a really nice pair of fenders for $300 each.  Zero rust and only a few small dings, missing the eyebrows and air deflectors, and originally with just the lower chrome strip, not the usual Fairlane gold insert and top chrome piece, but I have those at home, I just hate drilling holes into such nice metal. 
   Now my dilemma was going to the ATM with the $7 service fee and getting the balance of the money to buy all 3 pieces.  My limit for daily withdraws would not allow me to come up with the $950 I needed, so I decided to just get the fenders as neither vendor was set up for a credit card. Then I remembered there was a bank by the ATM so I went to get a cash advance for the balance so I could get the hood also, IF it was still there.   I was really sore and tired by this point but as I approached after walking up and down the hill again with my aching feet, the hood was still there so I got it.
      I spent much more than I intended to but at least now I can put a front end on the car and drive it to see if I like it before dumping more money into it.  I feel kinda bad putting such nice sheetmetal on what was once going to be an old hot rod style car.  Now I'll have to raise my standards to include finished paint and bodywork instead of Flat Black primer and rusty bumpers.

Anyone looking for Fairlane style doors there was a nice pair just to the right of Gate 2 as of 2pm. The card I got from him says J&J Sauer Southern Auto Parts & Sales Sandy Lake Pa.  724-376-2768.

So as of now I'm not going to Beaver Springs, but tomorrows another day.

JimNolan

I feel just like you sound. I missed the FE Race and Reunion also. If you make it to Carlisle during the Ford Nationals look me up. I'll be the one not getting out of his chair next to a red and white 57 Fairlane. lol
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

jumping jack flash

I hate it when that happens. I learned the hard way to NEVER show up at a swap meet without enough money.I'm thinking a minimum of 1k would have covered my want list at the last one.

RICH MUISE

Jack....What? are you kidding? It ALWAYS happens...at least when you're on a really tight budget as I am. I always go wondering what I'm gonna see I can't buy.
Capt'....sounds like a good score. Had I had to make a choice, I would have done as you had planned...fenders first if they're there. A good hood is easier to come by than good fenders.
Half the reason I didn't go to the Pate swap meet was I just knew this year I wouldn't have been able to do it in one day, or all day for that matter.Heck, Friday I went to a salvage yard, had to tote my tool box a half mile or so to where I needed to be. Plumb wore me out by the time I got done. I take alot of naps.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, next time take a wheel barrow with you. makes it easier.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

lol..only if I got in it and found somebody to push.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Quote from: jumping jack flash on 2014-04-26 16:14
a minimum of 1k would have covered my want list at the last one.

yeah, I brought that to the Long Beach swap meet, but all I could find were Chevy parts and more Chevy parts...you could've built 10 tri Chevy from the parts and not a single 57 Ford.but In the end I got some very nice rechromed bumpers for  550/pair which is a bargain to me (here in central Europe we pay approx 1300$ / each bumper for rechroming) and some small 57 bits from a fellow afficionado. Two bad a Swedish guy bought the heater/radio/clock all in one bezel just in front of me. Funny as could be I saw his Ranchero later at the shipping co.
it is always nice to get those rare parts at the swap meet. the hunt is most fun.

jumping jack flash

Hey Djfordmanjack, That's a good price here in the states for redone bumpers.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-04-28 17:00
I got some very nice rechromed bumpers for  550/pair which is a bargain to me (here in central Europe we pay approx 1300$ / each bumper for rechroming) a the hunt is most fun.

Günter
    I sure do hope that those bumpers did not come from the Bumper Boyz.
Jay

djfordmanjack

Quote from: jumping jack flash on 2014-04-28 21:23
Hey Djfordmanjack, That's a good price here in the states for redone bumpers.

Yes that was my thinking. first they wanted my cores and I would have had to take them off on the parking lot which would have been a huge mess with all those rusted bolts. They were really super nice Spanish speaking guys from Ca. not the Bumper boyz. Their card says Edith Metal Polishing, Santa Fe Springs. I think I got a good deal on those because it was already later in the swap meet and they probably wanted to make some business. but I think they wanted 500, if you brought cores. They triple chrome and copper plate, and the surface is really looking great, will have to wait until they see daily rain and shine of course, but the guys are highly recommendable. I like to do business with smaller companies, as I have a small business myself. People like that take pride in what they are doing.

Ecode70D

After washing them with prep sol or lacquer thinner, I always paint the inside of my bumpers glossy black.  In my opinion it protects them from getting rusty on the inside where you can't reach after they are installed.  For some  unknown reason the black never shows up and looks like chrome if you can see the inside somewhere.
    In 40 plus years of doing this no one has ever noticed that inside my bumpers were painted black.   

djfordmanjack

exactly what I have beein doing for years now, because of the electrical cage (Farraday) effect, there is little to no copper and chrome protection to the inner side, that is why bumpers always start to rust on the concave parts, even on the outside, like on Zap's MkII. then the rust creeps around the edges and ruins/peels the outside. original Volkswagen bumpers from the 50s were painted silver inside, especially, since you can easily see them and the rear bumper traps all the dirt, stones, sand. I drive some of my vintage cars in winter and painting them inside saves a lot of the chrome. I use 2stage epoxy used for machinery equipment, it is heavy duty. I coat the outside with a thin film of special anti corrosive wax from a spray can. It gets dirty but preserves the chrome perfectly. In spring I take it off with some laquer thinner. not a single brown spot on them.