News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

trunk seal and air shocks

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2014-08-06 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

I had a good day today , put a new trunk seal on my custom 300 , and FEDX delivered a set of air shocks and I went ahead and put them on. I raised the rear about an inch and a half , just gave it a little attitude . Looks good and now I can haul a load if I find one!
BP
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

John Palmer

I found air shocks on the back of my Ranch Wagon when I purchased it.  I find they do not raise, or stiffen the rear very much, even at 100 psi.  This is likely caused by the 45 degree angle they are mounted to the axle.  If they were mounted more "up and down" they would add more stiffness and height increase at the same air pressure.

I think for the money spent, you would get a better result by pulling the leaf springs, and dropping them off at a local spring shop for rebuilding.  They can re-arch them, and change the stiffness to meet your needs.  You could still use the air shocks to tune in your ride height.  I get trailer springs rebuilt for about $75 per spring.

JimNolan

One of the biggest objections to air shocks on a 57 Ford has been that the top mount for the shock is sometimes destroyed by the firmness of the air shock. Mine had a repair mount installed when I got it. I second the advice about using leaf springs. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

Air Lift air bag kit might be an alternative.

Ecode70D

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2014-08-06 21:02
I had a good day today , put a new trunk seal on my custom 300 , and FEDX delivered a set of air shocks and I went ahead and put them on. I raised the rear about an inch and a half , just gave it a little attitude . Looks good and now I can haul a load if I find one!
BP

Hod did your deck lid close after installing the new trunk seal?   

BP57CUSTOM

The air shocks raised the rear about 2" at 90#. I drove to town and watched myself go by in the store windows (ever done that ?) , it looked a little jacked up so when I got back home I let a little air out and dropped it down a little, I like the look .  The ride and handling feels better than it did  before. It still had the original shocks on it. I'll keep an eye on the top mounts.  The trunk lid was harder to close with the new seal on , but seems to be getting better , I guess its getting squished down a little. I'm taking my 57 out 3 or 4 times a week and really love driving it.
Later
BP
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Ecode70D

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2014-08-08 17:11
The trunk lid was harder to close with the new seal on , but seems to be getting better , I guess its getting squished down a little. I'm taking my 57 out 3 or 4 times a week and really love driving it.
Later
BP

Last fall I installed my trunk seal and I had to slam the deck lid real hard to close it.  It's taking a long time to squish down.  This summer it's still hard to close the deck lid with just a  little improvement.  My door seals are still sitting in the trunk because I'm not looking forward to slamming my doors to shut them.

gasman826

A little Vaseline or silicone may help the seals slide as they squish out.  Seals would last longer if serviced regularly.

Ecode70D

Thanks Gary
     I'm going to do that tomorrow. 
Jay