News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tire wear

Started by RICH MUISE, 2018-06-19 09:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm running P215 70 15's on the front of my car. I have about 18.5k miles on them, and my outer edges on both tires are worn almost smooth. I'm wondering what you guys with wider tires like mine are getting for mileage from them, and if you have similar wear patterns.
I've had the alignment checked, and it's where it was as he set it 2 years ago. I haven't had balancing checked, but I have zero shake in the car up to 85mph, so I don't think I have a balance problem.
The tires are not 1/2 worn on the majority of the tire, just the outer edges. I know the tires are substantially wider than the car was designed for, so I'm wondering if it's the wider width that is the problem, and just something we have to live with if we want the width.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I was under the impression that wear on the outer edges, outside, of tires meant that there was more pressure on that edge, either tow-in or camber.  I also understood too little tow-in and the car would wander, but I'm not an alignment man so I don't know.  I'll watch your post to learn.
Terry

59meteor

Normally if both outer shoulders are worn more than the center, the tire pressure is too low. Assuming you are running radial tires, I would think you would want to start around 32 PSI or so, depending on wheel width, and moniter for tire wear.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

Too much positive camber or low pressure, I run mine at 35lb.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Using a 1957 alignment spec, the modern tire is not going to like it.  The larger/wider the tire, the closer to 0ยบ camber the more even wear across the tread.  Radials will perform better a little toward negative.  Radials have less rolling resistance than bias ply tires so toe-in should lean toward the minimum of the range (1/16-3/32 total).  Your wheels are wide enough and I assume you are not lead footing it around corners. 

suede57ford

My cars seem to rough up the inner edge pretty quick with 225-245 width tires.  My wife's SUV has 305's all the way around and it eats/cups the tires despite having it aligned multiple times.  My skinny front drag tires have some feathering on the inner edge as well in not many miles.   My super duty has aggressive mud tires and in 10,000 miles they are really rough to the feel, but i'm sure if I had stock Michellens they would go a long ways before getting a wear pattern.

I just accept that the cooler a tire looks the shorter the life is. 
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Lou

If a tire cups, the balance is off.

gasman826

Quote from: Lou on 2018-06-19 15:56
If a tire cups, the balance is off.
and/or shocks.

gasman826

Drag car needs a drag car alignment.  The front ride height changes dramatically through the quarter mile.  As the ride height changes so does the toe-in (as well as the caster and camber).  Having the toe off at 150 MPH really wears a tire.  Lay your hand flat on the tread and slide back and forth across the tread.  If the toe is off and wearing the tire, one edge of each tread will feel 'sharper' than the other edge.

Big, aggressive 4X4 tires need to be rotated regularly to keep them flat.  Many performance/specialty tires have a softer compound and they wear quicker.  Mud tires have big blocks of rubber on the out edge on the tread.  Looks great and are super for mud but don't hold up well to turning on hot pavement.

SkylinerRon

4X4's front alignment twist the outer edges up and then they wear off. Rotating tires front to rear every 5k miles cures this.

An up to date alignment and more air pressure should help a lot. Put them on the back if you can.

Ron.

81TTA

Rich, do you know what caster/camber specs were used on your car? 

Your question is very timely for me.  My Dad's '57 is showing the same kind of wear you describe on the front tires.  He's still running 14" tires.  I don't remember his overall mileage.  But, I'm sure it's somewhere between 2000 and 5000 miles since the alignment.  The wear is way too aggressive for so few miles.

I can't be too harsh about the guy who did the alignment since it was me! :)  But, since we replaced all the steering/suspension parts years ago, I'm having a tough time remembering what numbers I used originally to set caster/camber.  I don't have the service manual handy right now.  I *think* the specs are 1.00/1.00?  A few weeks ago when we noticed the tire wear, I moved the camber back a degree.  And, did a tire rotation front-to-back.  Handling didn't feel like it changed at all after the camber change.  We'll see if things improve after another few thousand miles.

I've heard the general trend for "performance driving" is camber = 0 (biased negative is better than positive) and as much caster as you can get while keeping camber in range.  If your car has any positive camber dialed in, it might be worth trying to move it back to see if it helps tire wear.

RICH MUISE

The alignment shop gave me a copy of the specs, I'll try to find it, but my car is modified somewhat in that I have R & P steering, dropped spindles, etc. As the fine print says, "your results (or needs)may be different". The guys here know much more about the alignment requirements than me.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe