News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Pieces

Started by Ottoparts, 2021-01-21 20:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottoparts

Going through the front suspension and steering components. This is what I came across tearing down the steering center link and idler arm.
Are these both trash?
Not exactly sure what the welds were for or doing as it all came apart easily enough. I can see that there used to be threads on the inside of both holes. I bought new screw caps and rubber grommets and they screw onto the idler just fine.
How loose is the idler arm suppose to be on the "L" bracket that attaches to the frame?

mustang6984

I think I would replace them myself...but then I get a bit anal about steering components. Some of the threads look pretty worn to me. Safety is more important to me than saving a few dollars. But again...JMHO. Others with more experience may have a different take/view.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

Yeah, that is pretty gnarly. If you can find replacements I would trash them. The weld is an attempt to bring the drag link back into spec.

M/S or P/S?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Ottoparts

M/S and I want to keep it that way.
I was thinking that they were trash but wanted a few other opinions. The hunt is on for some new pieces.
Thank you for the help.

59meteor

I agree, those pieces look sketchy. Not sure if it is a direct swap, but the idler arm bracket from a 1959 Ford is a much sturdier looking, cast or forged item, than the flat steel bracket used on 57-8s. The frame, idler arm and center link all look the same for all 3 years.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ottoparts

That's funny as I actually ordered the beefier bracket too. I was curious to see if it is the same measurements as my stock piece.

Fairlane62

Let us know if the 59 one works, I need to replace the one on my 58.

djfordmanjack

Not sure if I understand your pics correctly, but if that's the tierod idler arm assmbly on the pssgr side, yours isn't a factory 57 setup anymore. it appears as if somebody drilled the bracket for some kind of bushing or shaft and used a different idler arm .

the original 57 setup has a L shaped bracket with coarse inner threads, that a bushing threads into. that bushing has inner threads that the idler arm directly threads into. if that unit is worn you can replace the threaded bushing in the L bracket, but you have to replace the idler arm with a new one, since the threads are machined on it. Will see if I can dig out some pics. G.

djfordmanjack

Ja ! Here it is ! :001:
I replaced this last spring with an NOS Ford B-7 *** kit, that I purchased from one of our Gentlemen on the forum !

dgasman

Yes the 59 idler arm bracket is a cast piece and it works on a 57 and 58 . I have it on both my cars.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

I like that 59 bracket. At one time they sold a rebuild kit that used bearings rather then bushings. I saw one for sale somewhere that I don't remember but it was pricey.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Hoosier Hurricane

I have a rather large box of auction purchased aftermarket ball bearing idler arm kits.  If anyone is interested, I'll look and see if any are for '57.  They won't be "pricey", just reasonable.   John

Ottoparts

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2021-01-24 09:28
I have a rather large box of auction purchased aftermarket ball bearing idler arm kits.  If anyone is interested, I'll look and see if any are for '57.  They won't be "pricey", just reasonable.   John

John I would be interested but no rush as I have ordered parts already.

Picture is what came off of my car.

hiball3985

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2021-01-24 09:28
That would be of interest to me, put me on the list.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Hoosier Hurricane

Ottoparts and Hiball, I owe you both an apology.  I looked at my kits today, and I should have looked at them when I got them.  They are NOT ballbearing kits like I was familiar with.  I have four kits for '54 to '60 Fords, but are for power steering equipped cars.  What they are, are kits to replace the original rubber lined type bushings with a plastic/nylon type material.  Not even greasable.  The original bushings used the memory of the rubber to help return the steering to center after a turn, which these plastic ones can't do.  Snake oil products.  I have a bunch of them for '61 Fords also.  In my opinion, they are not worth the cost to ship them somewhere.  Sorry to mislead everyone, and for hijacking your post.   John