News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Pieces

Started by Ottoparts, 2021-01-21 20:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottoparts

Thank you John for looking. I wouldn't consider it hijacking when there's a chance to learn something new.

hiball3985

Thanks John. Luckily I don't need one now but would have saved it for the future..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ottoparts

Here are the brackets. My stock one which is not only has messed up threads, but is both bent and twisted. New replacement and thirdly the 59 bracket. A lot more beefier and all three have the same eyebolt size and separation.

hiball3985

Thank you for posting that. I'm going to keep my eye out for the cast bracket.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Lynn

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

terry_208

As near as I can tell, by measuring, the 62 and 57 bracket share the same dimensions. 
Terry

SkylinerRon

The ball bearing kits were aftermarket. Said to reduce steering effort.

Ron.

djfordmanjack

Great info here as usual, thanx a lot !

gasman826

PIC '64 Galaxie PS idler arm with aftermarket bearing kit that I used on '57 Raunch Wagon.

cokefirst

I would like some thoughts on the idler arms with the bearings over the bushings.  I was told by one front end guy that the bushing is preferred because the bushing uses the memory f the rubber that does not turn with the arm and it helps bring the steering back to center.  Another old time front end shop said the one with the bearings are better than the bushing set up.  Is this like the discussion of which oil is best for your engine? 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

gasman826

The original, OEM bushing would likely be fine if you could find one that wasn't 60 years old.  I installed two aftermarket replacement bushings and both had 'memory'.  After making a turn, the steering would pull or drift in the direction of the last turn.  Turn a little in the opposite direction to 'center' the idler arm and the car went straight down the road.  I installed the bearing kit...end of problems.  This was a PS system not manual steering.

59meteor

Only the factory power steering equipped 57-59 Ford cars used rubber bushings in the idler arms. Manual steering cars have threaded, greasable bushing nuts and the idler arm itself. The threads are what the idler arm pivots on, similar to the upper control arm pivots of 58 & 59 Fords, as well as 65 thru 73 Mustangs and Cougars, 62 thru 71 Fairlanes/Comets/ Torinos, 60 thru 70 Falcons, etc. I have to wonder if the ball bearing style offer much easier operation, since the threaded style has very little drag.
As long as the threaded style is kept greased, they are pretty much trouble free. And new idler arms are quite inexpensive, and readily available.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.