News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

fender to rocker nuts

Started by Randyh, 2015-01-17 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

I am in process of repairing the bottom of door pillar/rocker area on my 57 custom.  The nuts that are supposed be there to attach the fender were missing.  From parts manual the number is 359169-s2, I believe.  Does anyone know a source for these nuts?
Thanks, Randy

SkylinerRon

Randyh

Ron,  Thanks for reply.  I checked AMK before I posted here, this part number is not listed in their catalog.  I assume that it is some type of caged nut like used in the mustangs but I don't have to compared it to.

Randyh

Does anyone have a picture of what this nut looks like so I can try to match it up?  Can it be installed after this area is all assembled or does it have to go in with rocker panel?  Thanks, Randy

SkylinerRon

It appears to be similar to the caged nuts that are used to attach the inner fenderwells to the fenders.
Same 5/16-24 thread, probably different demensions on the arm.
Think thats the only place it's used on the car.
There is a Ford catalog of fasteners but, i can't seem to find mine at the moment.
Maybe someone has a copy.
Goodluck,

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

I have used a regular "top hat nut" by reaching through the hole in the front of the rocker.  Pull the rubber plug, tape the nut to the box end, reach it through and put the bolt up through.  Also put plenty of anti seize on the bolt.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Randyh

Thanks for information, I will look for something that will work here and let you know what I find, maybe it will help someone later.

Limey57

I took a different approach as I wasn't sure what they should look like.  I used a piece of 16 gauge steel bar, just a bit narrower than the slot in the front of the inner rocker.  I then got a 5/16" nut and drilled a hole in the steel bar so the nut fitted snuggly and flush on the under side and welded it in place.  I then bent the steel bar in a "L" shape, so that the "L" bit stopped you pushing the bar with the (now captive) nut too far inside the rocker.  I the primed and painted the new bracket and then sprayed rust-proofing wax over it.

I also tried using a nut taped to an open ended spanner but after it had fallen off inside the rocker twice I wanted an easier solution!
Gary

1957 Ranchero