News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Used gas cap needed

Started by Ecode70D, 2015-06-17 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm still looking to buy a used gas cap for my 57 custom.   It does not have to be very pretty because the license plate covers it.     I've been using a big funny looking one from a mid 70's Ranchero I think.
Thanks Jay 

RICH MUISE

Jay...I'll look to see if the seal on my old one is still intact. It's in pretty rough shape..the two upright tabs are bent over/flattened out. Not sure if it was stepped on or done on purpose. Anyway...I think it's still on my old tank.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Thanks Rich     I had no idea that it was the one with the tabs on it.   Jay 

RICH MUISE

pics of what I've got...I have no idea if it's original. If you want it, resend me your address and I'll get it in the mail....uninsured, lol.
Maybe there's no room for tabs behind the license plate, and that's why somebody squished it.

lalessi1

Mine looks just like the one you have minus the tab. I think the tab would hit the license plate, probably why it was bent.
Lynn

Ecode70D

That's great Rich.  Thank you very much.    I'll send you my address as soon as I finish this letter.
When I receive yours I'm going to post a picture of the one that I have been using that I think is for a Ranchero.   The guy that needs it will know what it looks like.   Jay

djfordmanjack

Jay if you don't get the right cap, let me know, I still I think have a cap that came off another 70a from Germany, or off my old Delivery. It's somewhere down in the boxes... :002:
( I think it had the flanges)
remember that pssgr cars are non vented caps and Ranchero/wgns are vented.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-06-21 15:23
Jay if you don't get the right cap, let me know, I still I think have a cap that came off another 70a from Germany, or off my old Delivery. It's somewhere down in the boxes... :002:
( I think it had the flanges)
remember that pssgr cars are non vented caps and Ranchero/wgns are vented.

Günter  Thank you very much.  I'll keep that in mind.   Jay

RICH MUISE

Jay...I finally got it on it's way today.

Ecode70D

Rich
    Have you ever given much thought to how many pieces of your car are all over the country on other 57 Fords?   Too bad that you didn't keep a journal of some sort.   Your door latch assembly is working nicely on my car.
Thank you very much for the gas cap.   Even though it can't be seen, it is going to be a big improvement from the one that is on it now.      Jay

RICH MUISE

Actually I was keeping a mental note for a while...but you know how that goes with our old age approaching. I think it is really neat that so many of my car's parts are on member's rides. I know you've got several (a cable, but had forgotten about the door latch, lol.) let's see..James has a trunk lock retainer, Bob/57agin has dash bezel clips, the ranchwagon Bill got from Canada had the hood ornament, Larry/acrylicman has my grille, I forgot who got the kick panel retainer strips, a local friend has the steering wheel and tailights, a member no longer on the forum got a door handle, Tim, rip, got the speedo and a delete plate, Jerry/57Raven got the air vents, forgot who got the old wiring harness, Bill got a dash knob bezel, Someone from NY got the ash tray.
Probably others, but I can't remember. Anyway, like I said I think it is really cool knowing where her unneeded parts are....whole lot more gratifying than selling stuff at the swap meet.

Ecode70D

WOW Rich!
    You mailed it on the 23rd from Texas and it arrived In Mass on the 25th.   That's super fast for the P.O.    You even glass beaded it.  Thank you very much.   Jay   

Ecode70D

It looks like I am going to have to hold onto the Ranchero gas cap that I was going to give away.  It seems like either my new gas tank neck is too short or I installed the tank incorrectly because there is not enough of  the neck sticking out the back end of the car for me to attach the gas cap that Rich just sent me.  I never had a correct gas cap so I never knew that something was wrong. 
    Since we have what seems like about 10 months of winter and about 4 weeks of poor sledding, I am not going to take anything apart now unless it is absolutely necessary.