News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

nos parking brake handle ass'y.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-07-11 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Looking for the complete hand brake ass'y. Must be nos as I can rebuild the one I have if I need to. Also looking for source for STAINLESS front parking brake cable.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

That's the Lincoln version of what I need, and  the oem one I have is in about the same condition as that one. I saw a NOS one on ebay 6 months ago, but at the time didn't know if I was going to have to convert my car to a floor mounted type, so I didn't by it. As I mentioned, don't want a used one as mine is restorable.
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.

whisper38

Rich
Do you have a picture of what you are needing.Because I've found several different types,on a web search,and they are NOS.

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-07-11 09:16
Looking for the complete hand brake ass'y. Must be nos as I can rebuild the one I have if I need to
How hard can that be?  I'm sure I'd just fix up what I had.
As for the cable:  I needed to shorten some brake cables.  Cut them & put a tight fitting nut on the end & welded it on.  Maybe I put on two nuts.  Ground them round to fit & called it good.  Wasn?t all that pretty as I could have spent a little more time on the grinding but was good enough for what I needed.  You should be able to buy stainless cable at a hardware store.  Don't have to weld stainless with stainless either.

RICH MUISE

Actually not too hard at all. I was wanting to compare pricing of a NOS assembly to replacement parts. I have already ordered the (oem steel) cable and parts I need from Dennis Carpenter, and I'll restore the rest. Kind glad I did...I like the looks of what I did with the handle as far as working with my more contemporary interior. After I got the dirt cleaned from the pulley wheel, it actually operated pretty smoothly (a replacement pulley was 26. bucks + shipping). This afternoon I clened up the shaft and handle while watching a baseball game. Cleaned up nicely with Eagle never dull polishing wads. After polishing, I sealed the metal with "Gloss Sealer", made by Master Formula. It's a sealer that is rubbed on with a cloth, allowed to dry to a powder residue, then polished...really like that stuff, and easy to use. It not only shines nicely, you definetly know it's on there 'cause the surface gets really slippery.
Does anbody know what that clip, with the tab sticking out, near the pulley is for?

gasman826

Keeps the cable from jumping out of the pulley.

RICH MUISE

This clip...

gasman826

There's a cardboard like material boot that goes over the bottom side of the pulley...to dress it up???to keep your toes out of the pulley????
That clip is all you have left of the boot.  Mine is pretty rough and in a bag somewhere.

RICH MUISE

That explains the reference to an emergency brake cover I saw and didn't know what it was. LOL....gotta go searching now.
a few more pics..love makin stuff pretty.I've got the brake cable pieces that attach at the tranny crossmember ready to go on also, so as soon as my parts get here, I'll get that done. On to my next project...getting the cable gas pedal assy installed, but figuring out some way to use the old style pedal with it.