News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering box

Started by popd24, 2013-06-17 17:28

Previous topic - Next topic

popd24

Does anyone have any info on finding a rebuilt steering box for my Custom 300?

BWhitmore

Concours has them on an exchange basis.  Quality rebuilt - pricey. 

popd24

Thanks for the info....now just have to figure out how to remove and install...

RICH MUISE

It comes out thru the firewall into the passenger compartment. That is the reason for the  large steering column hole.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

popd24

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

05gt

Just went through the same thing as you a few months back. One problem you will run into is finding the Sector shaft for the box. Everything else is available, just not the sector shaft. The shop I sent my box to took 3 months to look around, and to no avail, and I'm not the first one on here to run into this issue. You may have to look at changing to a 58 style box, rack and pinion, or a few other various options.  As for removing the box, as they started, it comes out through the firewall. remove the steering wheel, disconnect and wires or shift linkage, discount the pitman arm from the steering linkage, and remove the 3 bolts that hold it to the frame. Comes out as one big piece including the steering column, and is pretty easy to come out. If you find a shop that can rebuild the box, let me know as well!