News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

what tie rods with cavalier R&P?

Started by quad_quazy, 2014-01-21 00:28

Previous topic - Next topic

quad_quazy

Wow, Can't believe I have been lurking on this sight since '07 and this is the first time I have not been able to find the answer to a question.  So, right to it...
This spring I am pulling my motor to rebuild it and am going to install a R&P while it's convenient (yea right, it's never convenient, lol).  I already have a cavalier rack and granada spindals and don't have a problem with mounting it all (thanks to multiple other threads).  My question is:  What is everyone using for tie rods with this setup?  Can you use the cavalier ones?  Do the outer tie rods match up tapered degree wise?  If not, can I use the Ford outers with the Cheby inners?  Or, do I need to custom make ones with hollow rod and weld in heim joints, like I see in a lot of other threads?  Thanks for all the help, thanks for this website.
57 Retract

gasman826

Go back to HOME for all SEARCH attempts.  SEARCH 'moog tie rod'  and you will find several discussions and answers.  Your application is custom so there is no one answer.  As far as inner tie rod ends, heims joints are very common not welded to threaded sleeves.

RICH MUISE

What Gary said.
Most of us that have done the R&p setup have bought the kit from STFabrications, so even though we've done the R & P, we, or at least I, don't know the answers to your questions. The kits are just a bolt in with everything supplied that is needed except the hoses and whatever additional ujoint may be needed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Several years ago, I fabbed up brackets and used the Cavalier Saginaw rack.  The bracket from the rack to the inner tie rod ends is custom.  There is a clearance issue for standard style tie rod ends.  I used heims joints for inner tie rod ends.  Since heims joints typically come in 5/8" or 3/4" left or right fine thread.  3/4" was a little over kill and I couldn't find a 3/4" conventional outer tie rod end.  But Moog ES-351 ends are 5/8" fine thread and fit Granada spindles.  I ordered 5/8" x16" aluminum threaded sleeves from Speedway Motors.  That's my tie rod setup secrets...worked fine for years and looks good to me.

quad_quazy

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-01-21 19:48
Several years ago, I fabbed up brackets and used the Cavalier Saginaw rack.  The bracket from the rack to the inner tie rod ends is custom.  There is a clearance issue for standard style tie rod ends.  I used heims joints for inner tie rod ends.  Since heims joints typically come in 5/8" or 3/4" left or right fine thread.  3/4" was a little over kill and I couldn't find a 3/4" conventional outer tie rod end.  But Moog ES-351 ends are 5/8" fine thread and fit Granada spindles.  I ordered 5/8" x16" aluminum threaded sleeves from Speedway Motors.  That's my tie rod setup secrets...worked fine for years and looks good to me.

Thanks gasman.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  You just saved me tons of hours of research...not that I don't like spending hours in my favorite junk yard with a tape measure and my cellphone or on line looking up dimensions, :-) 
I hope everything goes smooth for this swap out and I can get it back on the road in minimum time.  My daughter and I have way too much cruising to do this spring/summer for it to be sitting.
57 Retract