News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson box and manual trans

Started by rar1947, 2015-05-30 15:57

Previous topic - Next topic

rar1947

So I did a lot of research here to see if a borgeson power steering box would fit my 58 custom with a manual trans/clutch linkage but couldn't get a definite answer.  So I decided to bite the bullet and try it. I had to modify the z bar slightly as it would hit the bottom outer edge of the box but did clear once I modified it. I did have to shim the box slightly as the directions suggest for it to line up properly with the column. The box sits almost into the floor boards and with a rag joint I'll have to modify the floor a bit to clear and come up with a better column floor mount than what I used just to see if it would work. I cut the column and used a flange bearing as others did on the bottom of column. Long story short I took it for a short drive and all seemed well. I'm running an FE motor and toploader overdrive. Again not totally finished but can confirm it WILL fit with minor modifications. Don't have any good pictures at the moment and will be out of town for a few weeks but will try and get some up when it's all done.

RICH MUISE

Good info...thanks for posting.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Thanks for that info. That is something I have been looking for. I too have a toploader ans an FE, would love pics on the z-bar mod when you get a chance!!!
Lynn

rar1947

This is the only picture I have and it was taken during the testing phase.  Basically I had to make clearance at the corner where it curves up to meet the clutch rod. That curved portion would hit the lower outside corner of the box. Making it a 90 instead of a curve gave the clearance I needed.

lalessi1

Thanks. That is what I wanted to know.
Lynn