News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

door panels for 57 ranch wagon

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-08-28 15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I need both door panels and kick plates for a 57 ranch wagon I am recovering them so finish is not important.  If some nne can trace out a patterns that will work too.  Left and right  Thank you

Lou

Is that a 2 or 4 door ranch wagon?

gasman826

I used 1/4" thick ABS sheets.  Lay it out on the door and trace around the door.  Made it 1/4 to 3/8 smaller than the door.  Scuff the ABS and glue will stick better.

Raven Rider

Two Door I still would like to get a tracing or if some one has a set that has seen better days I would really like to work out a deal  thanks for the ABS tip I will look into that.  Where did you purchase the ABS sheets?  Thanks

gasman826

Got my ABS at the local sheet metal store.  Several places...sign companies, home supply...

...door panel somewhat modified

RICH MUISE

I bought some abs sheets from a plastics supply house (Colorado Springs), for a different project.
I used 1/8 oak veneer for my door panels....usually found at home centers in door sizes as they use it for reskinning interior doors. Most common is mahogany, but the oak is stronger. The wood is easier to work with, glues easier, and has to be waterproofed. The abs is stronger and waterproof...but more expensive and harder to find. Glueing may be a problem. pick your poison!
Gary:...1/4"?? that wasn't too heavy/thick? I would think 1/8" would be fine, or even 3/16
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

1/4" might be a little thicker than necessary but have found not problem with it.  This was some surplus stuff that was less than 1/4" but greater than 3/16".  Since it was surplus, it was only two bucks a sheet...enough to do one door and one rear quarter.  I felt better with the thicker sheets since I was molding in those big Thunderbird arm rests. 

PS.  Use a grinder to break the surface of the ABS and glue sticks fine.

jwtdvm

Let me know if you still need tracings--I have 2 door wagon interior panels--probably going to custom cover mine with new boards but can certainly trace the old for you---call me if needed john 404-409-3094--I am in Georgia

Raven Rider

Thanks for the offer but this has been completed the tracings are no longer needed.