News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new member just getting started on my grandparents old car

Started by davemustane1, 2014-01-10 11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

davemustane1

hello everyone I'm a new member here and am just getting started on my car and would love any helpful information that you guys can give me. I just received a whole slew of panels from ems because I was told from jerrys classic ford they were the best , thanks for any info
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

BWhitmore

Welcome.  That is so great that you are restoring your grandparent's car.  From the picture looks like a great project.

RICH MUISE

Welcome..Any questions, just ask away. You're headed in the right direction with the Ems panels and joining this forum. The guys here are really knowledgable and eager to help. Great to see cars kept in the family being restored....and a ranchwagon to boot! You've got one of the more sought after models there. Good for you..the rest of us should be so lucky as to have one of those passed down to us.
If that's your garage with a lift, I'm guessing this car thing isn't new to you.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

davemustane1

thanks guys it is nice to be redoing my grandparents car I just they were still alive to see it when I'm done with it. but if you guys may know where I can find the spare tire hold and the piece under the tailgate between the fenders that would help a ton and thanks again for the reply
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

davemustane1

oh, that's my garage but this is my first restoration I typically use the lift for just doing basic work on my and my familys cars
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

BWhitmore

For the sheet metal under the tailgate try the Ebay vendor MostlyFord.  He has a lot of 52-60 Fords that he parts out.  Located in N. California.

davemustane1

1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

hotroddonnie

Welcome to the site! Lots of info and support here with these guys. HRD.

sprink88

~Chris

Jerry Box

Limey57

Welcome aboard, I'm yet to find a question that no-one can answer!  Looks a great project, especially given the family history, don't dismiss EBay for repair panels, I got a pair of original 1960's repair panels for my rear wheel arches & the fit was really good.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

davemustane1

Well here we go, Saturday I started getting rid of the bad and started trying to fit in the new, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right so if anyone has any tips please let me know.
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

davemustane1

for some reason it will only let me post one picture at a time
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

Limey57

On large flat panels like rear quarters and door skins I like to have a 1/2" overlap of the panels, stepping one of the edges using an edge setter (joggler) to minimise filler afterwards. I drill a 5/16" hole in the outer panel and an 1/8" hole in the inner ever 6", screwing the panels together with self tapping screws and large washers, this lets you fine tune the panels position. When its right, ensure the screws are tight and start on the inner panels, getting them tacked in place before removing the outer to weld and paint the inners fully (but keep offering up the outer now & again to ensure nothing has moved).

The outer panel can then be welded in place (paint the inner surfaces first in zinc weld through primer). Be really carefull when welding long joins because of distortion, I weld 1/4" at a time every 6 inches, let it cool and move on. Eventually all the 1/4" welds become one. Remove the screws & washers and weld up the holes.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Your pics have a large file size which is why it's only letting you post one. In fact I'm a little surprised it's even letting you post one that big...James must have increased the max allowable somewhere along the line. Your getting some good advise from Limey...the man knows of what he speaks. If you need help on how to resize your pics let me know.
I agree with Limey, btw, on overlaping large panels. Many will tell you the best way is to butt weld, but done correctly, imho, it is easier to get a good weld on an overlap. The seperate body panels from the factory are overlapped joints. It looks like the panel you're working on has been stepped for that purpose. If that's what your planning on you don't want to cut the old panel at the red "ref. line" but below it so the new can be put up under the edge of the old, making both panels on the same plane.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe