News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

57tudor

WOW, Can't wait to see what the side colors between the stainless is going to look like. So far the paint looks Bitchen!

57 Tudor.
:unitedstates:

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Limey57

Yep, looks absolutely fantastic, can't wait to see it back together.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57AGIN

57AGIN

Santini is getting ready to paint the side trim.  The fenderwells are installed, but not yet painted and the driver side fender is the only part out of the paint booth not yet color sanded.  His next step is to install the fenders temporarily and do the side trim painting.  I think he will use a different approach this time so it won't be a continual color fade front to back as it was last time.  I'm anxious to see what he comes up with this time.  If I don't like it, he can always redo it like it was last time as it was an eye catcher and I liked it.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The final painting chapter is about to begin.  Today I helped Pete Santini temporarily install, tape off and mark where the side trim painting will take place.  Hopefully very soon. The first photos are showing the car with the fenders temporarily mounted, the next couple are of Pete temporarily installing the hocky sticks prior to marking where they co and applying tape to positively show where the paint is to be applied.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

These next 4 photos show the side trim temporarily installed followed by a couple showing Pete busy marking how far the side trim extends.  This helps him to determine exactly where he will eventually mask off the areas he will be painting.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The final photos are of Pete marking the side trim and of him applying the painters guide tape to exactly where his painting will be done.  The next step is the final masking and then back into the paint booth for the final paint appliction.  Here is only a couple of more things requiring painting, fenderwells and other miscellaneous pieces.  Reassembly should start soon. 

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Went over to Santini's today and it is one step closer to having the trim stripe painted.  Pete was in the process of applying paper and tape to ensure against over spray when he paints the stripe. Later this week (I hope)

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here is the latest from out West on getting my 57 back on the road again.  This last week has been spent with Pete figuring out what he's going to do in painting the trim area on my Custom 300, both he and I were looking for something a little different than a straight fade.  He wasn't too happy with the almost turquoise at the front fading to a very deep blue to the rear of the 300's door.  With the very limited vertical space the options are pretty limited.  Both he and I were in agreement that what would be done would be pretty subtle.  He decided on doing a fingerprint type design inside the stripe, of course, I didn't have a clue what that meant.  So he surprised me.  I'll let the photos kind of speak for themselves.  So far only the driver side is done, let me know what you all think.

The first 4 photos show the stripe preparation.  1st a coating of medium sized metal flake was applied to the entire stripe, he followed this by wet sanding this to smooth out the flakes that weren't laying flat.

57AGIN

The next 3 photos show Pete applying painter's stripe tape to the previously sprayed and sanded metalflake.  This was a very slow and labor intensive process.  While he was doing this I watched, still wondering how this could possibly be made to look subtle.

Bob
57 AGIN

57redwhitered

Wow, Bob.  I can hardly wait until the next installment.  Keep us in the loop.
1957 Skyliner

57AGIN

The final 4 photos show Pete doing some samples for me to look at and choose a color treatment.  My choices for this were a all blue fade from the front of the car to be behind the door, somewhat like before (but no turquoise).  The next was a fade of blues on the outside fading to silver metalflake on the inside (I didn't select this one as up front it was just too narrow to see how it would work).  Finally, just an all silver color with some charcoal fading from the stainless trim to the center on the trim piece (I didn't select this either for a similar reason and I just like blue better). I think when the tape and paper are removed and the color sanding buffed out the newly painted trim will look pretty darn good.  Worse, comes to worse, the trim portion of the car can be redone for a relatively reasonable cost.

Bob
57 AGIN