News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New ac system installed

Started by Frankenstein57, 2011-06-11 08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I just finished installing AC in the ranchero, I used an under dash evaporator from a mid 60's ford, R-12. I went with a new sanden 502 compressor, R-134a. New vintage air condenser, drier, also R-134a. Plumbed it all in, fired it up last weekend, works good. If there is any interest in this installation, I can document and post pics. We got the 95-100 degree blast last week, now its back to 50's and rain, gotta love it.  Mark

Ford Blue blood

What are you doing teasing us with the "if there is any interest" thing?????  If you can put that together that would be great!  I'm always looking for ways to do thing, compare ideas and improve the functionality if possible by looking at others work....so please.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Ok, just needed a little push. I'll take some pictures, and put together a step by step. Just be patient, I always try to get my daughter to help me with the techno stuff.  Mark

JPotter57

I have one of those cool chrome 60's underdash units, and plan on putting it in my daily, 61 F100.  Yeah, I'm interested ...Please post pics.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

canadian_ranchero

the a/c people tell me i can use the markviii compresser and condenser with the 1957 poloraire under dash unit i have.just make up new hoses and a few other things.any new information would be nice on your install   

Frankenstein57

You should be able to use your old R-12 evaporator with the newer compressor,condenser,and R-134 refrigerant. The pros don't recommend it, but it works. I'm no expert on automotive installs, I do HVAC and plumbing for a living, automotive stuff is pretty much fixing my own junk, keeping it working. The basic principals are the same, pressures and temperatures change with the new and old. The older factory ac evaporators use 45 degree flare fittings, the guys at vintage air didn't want anything to do with adapting to that. But I found a local branch of a national company, that helped me adapt the 45 degree flares to the o-ring stuff. My car is all a mess getting a new paint job, but I'll get some pics together.  Mark

ROKuberski

I will shortly be installing an all new a/c system from Nostalgia Air.  Ordering from them has been a very frustrating experience.  Everytime I call a different part is backordered.  Anyway, that's not the reason for the posting.

I do have an underdash unit that was for a '65 Mustang.  It appears to be in very good condition and I have verified that the 3 speed fan works.  I called an a/c shop in Denver and they said it could be used with R-134a if you changed the evaporator valve, a minor change.  I also have a condenser coil that came with this unit, but I can't verify that it belongs to this unit.  When I bought my '57 Ford, this was in the trunk.  Anyway, I would like to sell this unit.  If interested, I would like $200, plus shipping for the two pieces.

Rich

Frankenstein57

Sorry this took so long- lost summer in the body shop.

I used the Fairlane/Galaxy underdash R-12 unit.  I bought the evaporator and compressor bracket kit for the Y-block from Vintage Air.  The Sanden 508 compressor I got at summit, you need a rear discharge compressor.  Trust me, a side discharge won't work.  I got all the lines, fittings, and adapters at a company called HyQuip-- which is an Eaton/Aeroquip dealer-- They made up what I needed for hoses, and were very patient and helpful with sizes.  If you know someone with an account, use them, the lines & fittings were pricey.  I plumbed in a filter drier from Vintage Air, with a low pressure switch.  

I evacuated the system down to -30", it held a tight vac.  I charged it with 134A refrigerant- It works fine.  If you don't have the old underdash unit, by all means buy the new 134A one, or get the kit.  I get a kick out of making old stuff work. I stopped by amblewagon's shop to see his 57, that car wasn't there, but he had some other ford hotrods. One old ford had a mustang drive train that he used the R-12 compressor, just changed the oil, and resealed it. Not sure what the evaporator was from.  Mark

-Mark

Frankenstein57

Here is one more picture, sorry the last two were a little large. 

Also-- Vintage Air's website has a really good diagram as far as plumbing and direction of flow.  Hope this helps.

-Mark