News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Seat Belts

Started by wighty, 2016-10-12 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

wighty

Has anyone installed 3 Point Front Seat Belts in Custom 300 Tudor?  I would like to see what they had to do to the B Pillar and the rear window frame to make the attachment there.  I did a search for this on the web site and could not find this discussed.

gasman826

This is one subject that has not been thoroughly discussed.  OEM belts have been reviewed but not aftermarket, 3-point belts.  Several years ago, I installed name-brand, aftermarket 3-point belts (can't remember the name).  Unfortunately, I'm very poor about pictures.  The kit furnished plates threaded for the seat belt bolts.  I welded these plates into the upper and bottom 'B' pillar.  The garnish molding and inner quarter trim panel required aligned holes.  A belt retractor bolts into the bottom 'B' pillar plate and keeps the outer seat belt out of the way and neat when not in use.  The inner seat belt was bolted to the floor through one of the floor supports and used a special, round shouldered washer.  Flat washers are not to be used through the floors because accident history has shown flat washers will pull through the sheet metal.

Attached is the only poor picture I have that almost shows the upper 'B' pillar plate.  The second picture shows holes in the garnish moldings. 

wighty

Thank you for taking the time to respond and send the pictures.  I now have a little confidence to pursue this modification.  I have gotten comfortable with the 3 point belts in our newer cars and feel insecure with just the lap belt. It's interesting on how we get ourselves conditioned to certain things.  The body is already painted, so I will have to be a little careful with the welding.  I am looking for a nice after market kit.

gasman826

I to experienced that 'naked' feeling without going through the seat belt ritual.  After the first summer with no belts, I still found myself hesitating before starting the car with this 'I forgot something' feeling.  The 3-point belts eliminated that feeling.  The thoroughly tested late model OEM crash systems give me survivability confidence.  But, these aftermarket belts don't give me confidence of surviving a high-speed, head-on with a Freightliner.  I just don't feel naked.  I'm not convinced the 'B' pillar is strong enough to keep my 250lbs from going through the windshield.  My Raunch Wagon has only lap belts and I feel just as comfortable with those as I do with the 3-point setup. 

If your car is painted and glass installed, I'd pass on anything that requires welding.  It's just to late.  All finished surfaces including glass would have to be covered.  I don't think you could weld the plates in without destroying the paint.   

I considered real racing, 5-point belts.  The shoulder belts require at least a 3-point cage for attachment points.  I didn't want deal with all the issues with caging.

RICH MUISE

One thing for me to look into down the road is seats from a later model convertible. I believe they, or at least some of them, have the 3 point belts built into the seats.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I only installed lap belts and used these. They were really nice quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pt-Black-Airplane-Buckle-Lap-Seat-Belt-w-Flat-Plate-Hardware-/162172291038?hash=item25c238c7de:g:qOEAAOSwgZ1XtI1F&vxp=mtr
I liked the mounting plates because of the size and they have round corners which are less likely to tear the sheet metal. Also I like this type of latch, I don't like the cheesy plastic button type. Regardless of which type you use if you are in an accident against a newer model car the outcome isn't going to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

I have some serious doubts about our cars (or any early car for that matter) surviving a serious crash that the late model stuff would "shake off" and allow us to survive with only bruises.  Now having said that, staying behind the wheel and in the car increases your chances of surviving a crash by better being able to stay put and operate the thing.  Most roll over deaths are caused by people being rolled on by their own car.  Head on....that stock steering column will run through your chest like a medieval spear!

I was a part time belt user until the night I rolled my Mustang 2 1/2 times.  Every loose object in the car was thrown out except me.  I ended up hanging upside down in my seat belt!  Every thing I have built since then has had a minimum of belts, three points if there was a good way to mount the shoulder point.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-10-16 08:28
I have some serious doubts about our cars (or any early car for that matter) surviving a serious crash that the late model stuff would "shake off" and allow us to survive with only bruises.  Now having said that, staying behind the wheel and in the car increases your chances of surviving a crash by better being able to stay put and operate the thing.  Most roll over deaths are caused by people being rolled on by their own car.  Head on....that stock steering column will run through your chest like a medieval spear!

I was a part time belt user until the night I rolled my Mustang 2 1/2 times.  Every loose object in the car was thrown out except me.  I ended up hanging upside down in my seat belt!  Every thing I have built since then has had a minimum of belts, three points if there was a good way to mount the shoulder point.
I agree, it's important to stay inside the car. Back in the 70's I saw a family of 4 ejected from a car at 60-70 mph on the road going into the Grand Canyon, kind of ruined my trip, I have been using seat belts ever since..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I happened to park next to a Sebring convertible today and went over to take a look at the seats...not bad looking and they do have the provision for the 3 point belts built in.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe