News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

scarebird adapters

Started by jseth83, 2014-12-26 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

My springs are stock.  I made my own rubber seats out of some 60 mill EPDM rubber.

I would say I got it all back together without problems, but not like it said in the service manual.  I could not budge lower control arm from the vertical position without using the pipe and come-a-long.  Perhaps another owner put in new front springs, but I doubt it.  My front end was worn out.  The car had about 2,500 on the odometer, so I assume it's only been around once.  I have considered either new rear springs or rearching the existing springs.  For now, I installed Monroe coil over shocks and that helped a bunch. 

Rich

lalessi1

My car had heated 6 cyinder springs with 3 collapsed coils....they fell out when I dropped the lower control arms. I put 59 Edsel V8 springs in with  no problems at all though I thought it would be impossibe at first. I actually compressed the springs enough to get 'em to pop in "by hand".
Lynn

ROKuberski

What is a "heated 6 cylinder spring?"

I suppose it's possible that I did not do something right with the reinstallation, but with the spring hanging in position, there was no way I could budge the lower control arm.  I did have the spring clocked properly so that it dropped into the recess for the tail end of the coil.  It's not a complicated job, but you don't want to screw up with a big spring under compression.

I am also considering replacing the anti sway bar.  The original one is very small, especially when looking at what is on new cars.  The one on my new Explorer is massive and there is no appreciable lean when going into corners.  From what I've read, the aftermarket one available from Concours works well.

Rich

hiball3985

Heating the springs is old school cheap way to lower the front end, you heat them with a torch and let them collapse. Ask me how I know  :003:

I'm really happy with the front bar I put on mine, really helps the handling in the corners. Because I have Granada spindles/disc brake the car sits lower in the front and I bottom it out on some driveways and gutter crossings, a normal ride height car shouldn't be a problem at all.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

This weekend is the Tri-State Swap Meet in Denver.  It takes up a huge amount of space at the National Western Complex.  I've never been and I was amazed.  There must be a thousand exhibitors and tens of thousand of people wandering the aisles. 

I managed to find the only set of 14" Granada wheels left for sale in the western hemisphere.  4 for a total of $80 and the guy may have a fifth one still at home.  I hope so.  Anyway, I am off and running.  I still need to decide if I will buy a complete kit or build up my own from the scarebird brackets, Mustang Rotors & Chevy S10 calipers.  The scarebird brackets are for sale on eBay and direct from their website for about $30 less than the eBay.

The complete kits I am aware of are not cheap. 

http://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/1957-61-Ford-Fairlane-Front-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Wheel-Kit-604604.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131401552907?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am leaning strongly towards just buying the components.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Rich...I need to apologize to you for not being able to contact you at the swapmeet. I need a new cellphone, and my hearing really is bad. I didn't hear the phone when it rang...or feel it vibrating for some reason, but the main thing was my touchscreen froze up and was not operable, so I couldn't get to the touchpad to call you.
Al and I ran into Marty there (we all went up seperatly)after he saw you..he said you were wearing a red polo shirt..but that didin't help find you either! Anyway, at least our plans to meet got you there and it worked out for you..great you found those wheels!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,

Bummer that we did not to meet up.  But, I did run into three guys I knew there, including Marty.  That alone is quite amazing considering the number of people that were there.

We will try again sometime in the future. 

Rich

ROKuberski

Well, now that I have the Granada wheels, I made a decision on what to do for brake parts.

I've gone whole hog and bought the Wilwood kit.  I got if from the guy selling the kits on eBay, but through conversations to confirm that this would work, he made me a direct offer for a 5% discount.  I also learned that the wilwood calipers use a nonstandard size for the brake hose, so I got adapters too. 

I still need to hear from the guy I bought the wheels from to see if he has the 5th wheel.  If not, I am back on the search for one more wheel.

I want to media blast the wheels and then have them powder coated.  To avoid an extra setup charge, I need all 5 wheels at once.

Rich

lalessi1

Rich,
Great to hear you got 4 wheels (so far) and I know you must be happy to have "pulled the trigger" on you brake project... I think the Wilwood set up is a great choice. Please keep us informed on your progress as the installation moves forward!  :003:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Awesome. Keep us posted.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

did you make that set up will fit inside the 14"wheels?

ROKuberski

Yes, it will fit.  A while back, I made a cardboard template that is the size of the O.D. of the caliper when mounted on the car.  It fits just fine.  On the Wilwood site they had a drawing with all the dimensions.  I think I posted a copy of that drawing a while back on this thread.  I printed out the installation instructions, and read them, and called the Wilwood tech support people prior to purchasing it just to make sure.  I'm better at doing my homework now than when I was in High School. 

I suppose that problems are still possible, but I've done what I can without having parts in hand.

Rich

ROKuberski

I've been wondering where my parts are.  Turns out that they are back ordered, supposed to ship in a couple of week.

I finally found a 5th steel wheel and actually a 6th.  If anyone needs a Granada wheel, I can put you in touch with a friend of mine.

Rich

lalessi1

I was wondering about your progress. How wide and what is the backspacing of your Granada wheels?... peace of mind thing! :003:
Lynn

ROKuberski

The wheel is 6" wide with a 3-3/8" back set.  See photo to see how I measured the back set.

Rich