News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

scarebird adapters

Started by jseth83, 2014-12-26 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Thanks Rich for the info. Backspacing is technically measured to the inside edge of the rim but your measurment tells me what I was looking far. I make the actual backspacing at 3 3/4". I may start looking for stock spindles if you like your kit.
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

I just remeasured.  You are dead nuts on.  I included the picture because I was not sure exactly where the measurement is taken.

I'll let you, and everyone else, know how the install goes when I get the parts, they are to be delivered 2/26.  I have direct contact information that I can pass on.  They gave me 5% off of their kit when I bought direct, $595 including shipping and two adapters.  They are already quite a bit less expensive than buying from Wilwood. 

If you go to the Wilwood website, you can download the installation instructions, it's only 9 pages.  On page two, there is a diagram of parts that shows a spindle that is NOT like the one on our cars.  I called and talked to their tech rep and he assures me that that drawing has a generic spindle.   

I also bought a pair of adapters ($15) so I can use standard brake hoses.  For some reason, their calipers are not threaded for standard brake hoses.

I think the scarebird adapters are still a good deal, but I decided to go for a complete kit, plus I think the Wilwood calipers are better than the S-10 calipers.  Maybe, maybe not. 

Rich

ROKuberski

After having such a tough time finding the Granada wheels, I have 5 for myself and I know where two more are if anyone is interested.

By the way, my parts did not arrive last week, they are to be here March 4th.  I just installed a heater in my garage so I won't freeze my butt off when working out there.  My guess is that we will now be in for a period of record warmth.

Rich

ROKuberski

I got my parts today and they are defiantly first rate.  I'll get started on the project soon and will provide pictures and let you guys know how it all goes.

In the picture you can see the clearance with the rotor and caliper just sitting inside the wheel.

Rich

lalessi1

Awesome! Nothing like new trick parts in plastic in the house! Christmas in March!!!
Lynn

hiball3985

Thats a nice looking set up. I'm just assuming these require a power brake booster?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

DanTudor57

I was running similar wilwood calipers on my '57  some time ago using the non-power Granada master cylinder -- I think it was from the "Taxi" model. It worked fine, I also later upgraded  with the same calipers on the rear with the same master cylinder.

I was actually using Willood's kit for a '66 Mustang adapter to my '57, so I had larger 11.3 inch wilwood rotors.

ROKuberski

Dan,  This kit uses the 11.3" Mustang rotors (68 - 69).

Hiball,  This does not need power brakes.  I did purchase a power booster last year and went through a lot of crap and never got it to work properly.  I do have a dual master cylinder on the car now.  I also have a 10psi back pressure valve on each half of the system.  I will change the back pressure valve on the front to a 2 psi unit.

I've got a lot going on through the weekend so won't get much done on this project until Monday.

Rich

hiball3985

I'm glad that conversion doesn't require a power unit, I recall all the problems you had with the one you tried to use. I wish I still had stock spindles and could use this set up but the Granada brakes work fine for me I just don't like the front end being so low..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

I just started this afternoon on installing the kit.  In less than one hour, starting from the removal of the tire, I had one side done except for the brake hose.  The kit is pretty good, but they sent me a brake hose adapter that does not work with my stock hose.  I'm not sure it is supposed to.  So far, my only challenge is to get the dust cover on the hub.  A challenge that I haven't met yet.

Rich

DanTudor57

Thanks for those pictures and clarification on the setup.

I'm a little surprised at the design and parts they used for this kit.

If  my memory doesn't fail me, I was able to mount the 11.3 mustang rotor -- the two piece rotor -- on my stock spindle using one of Wilwood's aluminum hubs and the right bearings. I fabricated the caliper mount with 1/2 iron, that mounted on the lower bolt, but used a spacer for the upper bolt. When I spoke to them about a kit for my car years ago, they told me there was no market. How things change.

After a while I opted for 13 inch rotors and 6 piston calipers. I'll have to go check if they decide to also provide that on our spindles..

ROKuberski

Dan,

This kit uses the standard 68 - 69 Mustang rotors with standard bearings.  They are a perfect fit for the Fairlane spindle.  The only change is a .27" spacer behind the wheel bearings. 

I tried to set the new rotor and caliper inside of the stock wheel and, as we all know, it does not fit.  However, it is close.  I believe that the 70's Lincoln Versailles uses a smaller rotor, I would think with some creative engineering, some combination of parts would work with the stock wheels.   For me, it no longer matters.  I got the Granada wheels cleaned and painted and have two tires swapped over.  I'll do the rest when I get the car down off of the lift.  I am really enjoying not having to crawl around anymore.  It's an easy stand up project. 

All in all, it's simple and easy to install.  I am heading to a hotrod shop in the morning to see if I can find a brake hose that will work. 

We have a warm spell here in Denver and I would like to get this completed and tested.

Rich 

lalessi1

Rich, It looks great, I am sure it will work as goos as it looks. Let us know. PS, I'm sure its a moot point but I used a PVC pipe coupling to seat the dust cap....
Lynn

ROKuberski

I bought a PVC wye fitting, it gave me a "handle" on one side.  Steel pipe was just a hair to small or way too big.  It worked, but I've never had to work so hard to install such a small part.  I think they could shrink the dust cap a thousandth or so.

I have new braided stainless steel front hoses installed.  All I have left to do is put the proportioning valve on and bleed the system.  A few honey do's may delay the completion until tomorrow.

Rich

lalessi1

I have stock hoses on my brakes now but stainless lines really improve response and feel based my experience. Good choice.
Lynn