News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front bumper brackets, what are these for?

Started by Limey57, 2015-06-29 09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Spent an hour trying to align the front bumper this afternoon, come to the conclusion that the inner irons/brackets aren't straight.  While browsing the internet looking for 57 Ford front bumper installations I came across the picture below, there are two brackets attached to the inner irons (circled red), what are they for?  I've found a set in a box of spares but I'm not sure where they should go, are they for the brackets on the very ends of the bumper?

Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Those are the ones that go on the end of the bumper. The section with the two holes attach inside to the sheet metal where the inner fender panel and front splash pan come together.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Aha, thanks, that makes sense!  Better get them blasted & painted!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Here's a pic...Orientation, hard to tell in the pic, but the flange that bolts to the bumper points towards the back of the car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Thanks Rich saves another few minutes of head-scratching!  It turns out that my main bumper irons are twisted (at some point in its life it's had a knock on the drivers side front) and trying to get them twisted back has been hard work.  I don't know the grade of steel used but it's really hard, like a kind of spring steel.  I tried enlarging the slots where it bolts to the bumper to give me some more adjustment but it just wore away the carbide burr I was using!
Gary

1957 Ranchero