News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

odometor

Started by smurfee, 2016-07-19 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfee

HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE NUMBERS ON YOUR ODOMETOR :unitedstates: :deadhorse: :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK

SkylinerRon

Having never had to do it I'd send it to a speedo shop.
Or get an old one and tear into it.

Goodluck,

Ron.

gasman826

When I was in dealerships, I altered them whenever I repaired/replaced an odometer.  I read about it in a late '70s service manual.  Then the Feds got involved and it was taboo to alter an odometer.  I was to put a sticker on the A pillar.  Like the gods were going to strike someone down for removing the sticker.  Even after the so called ink scare, I adjusted replacement odometers to reflex the actual mileage.

The number wheels rotate on a small axle/pin.  CAREFULLY press one end of this pin out of the frame keeping the wheels together.  Once the pin is clear of one side of the frame, the gears are out of mesh and the number wheels can be slightly separated and will rotate freely.  This is very tedious and tiny work with a great need for clean fingers.  Once the wheels are rotated to the desired mileage, mesh the drive gears and slide the pin back into the frame.

Picture doesn't show much except that since everything on this car is new/rebuilt, then I see no unethical issue with changing the odometer back to 00000.0.  If you need to replace your odometer, what's wrong with correcting the odometer to the actual mileage of the car.  Besides.....who buys a vehicle based only on the mileage!!!!!!!!!!!

smurfee

Thanks a lot GASMAN :unitedstates: :icon_bigsmurf: :006:
NEVER LOOK BACK

lowrider

To add to what Gasman said, when you get the numbers you want showing make sure they are straight. If they are out of alignment even a little bit when you press the pin back in they will stay that way. Always a dead giveaway the odometer has been tampered with when the numbers don't line up. Did a few in a Detroit area Ford dealership into the 80's and learned the hard way to make sure the numbers lined up.

57redwhitered

I worked at a GM dealer in 1966 and they had a box with a speedo cable out of it that you connected to the speedometer and you could either add miles or subtract them.  It was a common practice back then.
1957 Skyliner

gasman826

If you choose not to tackle your speedo, Bob's Speedometer in Howell can do about anything dash related.

lowrider

X2 on Bobs Speedometer. Been around the Detroit area since the late 50's that I recall.