News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

312 distributor needed

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-11-04 18:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A friend who has a local shop is doing some mechanical restoration work on a '57 Retractable and is in need of a good distributor for a 312. Got one to spare, or have a source? I told him to try Bob Owens in the morning.
For MY info........is the 312 distributor used in other applications as well?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

JFYI Rich. The 57-64 distributors are basically the same. There are slight difference in advance curves in different engines and years. 57-58 or maybe 59 used a ball bearing advance plate later ones used three nylon type pads. The ball bearing plates are usually history. The 57-58 type have 26 degrees mechanical advance, the later type have 24. Upper bushing wear in any of them is an issue if you run points. I'm using a 62 distributor in mine.
Does he need a period correct one?
There are no sources for these that I know of. Cardone was selling rebuilds at one time but they started using the wrong parts and due to the complaints have pulled them off the market.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I don't know if the owner is trying for a 100% factory correct restoration. I've kinda ignored all the threads I've seen but not read about updating the old distributors with Pertronix, etc. ( distributor?, we don't need no stinkin' disrtibutor!) Concorse Parts lists a distributor for 57-59 y block. It has a B7A prefix, but says it fits 57-59 Mercury, so not sure if that'll work.
He called me after dinner last night, so I told him I'd post a wanted for him and make a list of possible sources and call him in the morning.

RICH MUISE

My friend called Roger Vasholtz in Kansas that I suggested he check with, and Roger had several used units, so one is on it's way. 25$.
Also got this info from Guthriesmith on the Hamb about units available from O'Reilly's for 64 f100 292 that he installed in his '56 Customline 292:
quote"On the O'Reilly Auto Parts website, I came up with a couple different ones. One is rebuilt and the other new. The new is a Spectra brand and the O'Reilly number is FD06 edit. The rebuilt is a Cardone brand and the number is 30-2808. Pretty sure I went with the Cardone now that I just looked it up. Both are right at $75."
JFYI, the Hamb guys were also cautioning about the some of the Cardone units in the past being built with Ford small block components that have shafts 1/4" too short for the Yblocks, so checking a new unit against the old one for shaft length is a must do before installing.
edit: Spectra part number given is wrong. It's for a Ford, but ??,  3/4" too short.

hiball3985

It's a good thing he found a used one. Everyone on Ebay and the want-to-be parts stores was selling the Cardones and they were OK a few years back. At some point in time they ran out of cores to rebuild and started selling the SBF  by relocating the drive gear but the shafts are to short as you mentioned.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ray

292 + 312 distributors were the same in 1957. Should Show FEH 12127 A orA@ on the body. The B9af 12127 B is the service part number. 272 is different as are the "E" and "F" units. They each have there own part number. Once again I would recommend contacting Steve Pierce in 29 Palms CA  (310)531-0053. Good Luck
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ray

Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

thomasso

57 312 E and F code distributors have different part numbers than other 312s, The only difference my research came up with was one of the advance weight springs. Any Y block distributor should work just fine in a stock engine as the advance curve differences are nominal.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

My friend never heard back from Roger. Roger needed to locate them, then call before shipping. He never did, nor did he answer his phone for 3 days. He's going to give Steve in 29 Palms a call, then try the new units discussed from OReill'ys if that fails.

Ray

Pretty sure "F" distributor is dual point. If Steve doesn't have a  "D" unit, you might try Don Simpkin in Downey CA at (562) 923-3456.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

We're still searching, I passed all the contact info along. Thanks for the latest one, Ray
The Spectra part number given on a previous post is wrong. Dwayne ordered one, but the shaft is 3/4 short. I edited that previous post.

KULTULZ

QuoteFor MY info........is the 312 distributor used in other applications as well?

Pay attention to the center chart on the page. It shows the DIST ID STAMPING NOS, the main identification of how the DIST was assembled/calibrated. The chart on the right shows SERVICE PN's.

1949/1959 FORD CAR MPC

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

SkylinerRon

Never use a 56 and older distributor in any Y-Block. They don't have centrifical advance.

Ron.