News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Problems with newer oils?

Started by 05gt, 2011-04-19 20:47

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Without writing a book, I've seen on quite a few forums on the net that modern oil's don't have as much ZDDP in it as compared to 10 years ago, which can cause havok with the flat tappet cam in our cars.

My question is, which oil do you guy's currently run through your motor, and do you use any additives? I bought some of the ZDDP additive from eastwood last year (3 bottles), but I've seen Comp cams and edelbrock now have flat tappet cam specific oil. Just curious what you guy's have been running, and with any problems or excessive wear?

i have seen on a couple of forums that valvoline's VR-1 20-50w oil is high in ZDDP still, but a little leary about running that weight of oil. Any input is appreciated as always!

Frankenstein57

On the y-blocks forever site a few members recommend shell rotella, higher zinc numbers. Mark

Lou

I use 15/50 Mobil 1 and add ZDDP.

05gt

I had heard about Rotella, but heard they have reformulated it as well within the past year and have also lowered the ZDDP in it also.

I think once I use up my additives, I'll switch to one of the oils specifically formulated for the older cars.

Never thought that changing the oil would become such a hassle. Everything else on teh car, yes, but the oil!?!? lol!

iamflashman

I use VR1 and add a bottle of cam break in lube each oil change.
1957 Ford Convertible 428CJ/Tremec TKO
1957 Ford Ranch Wagon 5.0L EFI/AOD - sold :(
1964 Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt clone
1958 Edsel Bermuda

1957 ________________ Ford
\___((_______________))___/
(@)________V__________(@)
[________I_____I_________]
__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

geraldchainsaw

ok,  since i want to keep my motor running without to much wear,   i went out and bought some additive that has ZDDP in it,    not sure of the name off hand,   but for a 12 oz bottle it cost 16 bucks,  and says to use the whole 12 oz,  so i checked into eastwood and they say to use a 3 or 4 oz bottle with each oil change,  and it costs 10 bucks per bottle,   sso now i'm confussed as to which i should use.  any ideas out there?????????????????,  10$ or 16$?,     jerry

bossguy

I use the Eastwood additive in my solid lifter Boss. Every now and then I get a free shipping coupon from them. The shipping is as much as the additive.

geraldchainsaw

TO bOSSGUY,  THE ONLY WAY TO OFSET THE COST IS TO ORDER 10 OR MORE,  THE MORE U ORDER THE CHEAPER IT WILL BE.

rmk57

I thought you only had to use ZDDP additives is when you were breaking in a new cam and lifters. After the proper break in procedure is done use any, well not any oil but a good
quality brand. I've been using Rotella and Quaker state on my 272, Boss 429 and a built 460 with no problems. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

05gt

Gerald, I've also been using the additive from eastwood. It's called ZDDPLUS. I checked with the company, and they said to just use one bottle per oil change, which is what i've been doing the past cpuple of years now.

that's why i've been looking into older vehicle specific motor oils. That way there's less confussion about the whole process.

alvin stadel

most of the guys in our car club have swithced to Valvoline off road oil, it still has all the zink and you don't need to buy or use any additives with it. Take care, Alvin

57AGIN

Guys:

When I was installing my supercharger, I received some pretty good advice about break-in motor oils and regular flat tappet cam oils to run in my 57.

The break-in oil is Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 Break-In Oil "The Green Oil."  The label on the container indicates it is an SAE 30 mono-grade oil formulated specifically to meet the critical lubrication needs of new engines during break-in, while allowing proper seating of rings and component 'run-in"  Enhanced levels of "zinc" (zinc diakyldithiophosphate a.k.a. ZDDP)....for even the most demanding of applications such as those presented by break-in of engines with flat tappet cams.

The other oil I'm using is for "built" engines especially those running nitrous oxide, turbo charger or supercharger power adders to keep oil temperatures down, minimize foaming, etc. It is Lucas SAE 20W-50 High Zinc Racing Only oil.  I doubt if the Racing Only oil is necessary for a standard Y-block application, but it couldn't hurt if you have an F-Code, or run your 57 at the local drags.  But, using a ZDDP additive or an oil containing zinc is definitely a good idea for any of us using a flat tappet cam.

Bob
57 AGIN