News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stolen steering box???

Started by 05gt, 2013-05-29 21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

So back on March 9th I sent Stangers Steering (precision automotive) my steering box for a rebuild after talking to them on the phone the week before and explaining what problems I was having with it. I was told the box would be done within a few weeks. Well here we are 2 1/2 months later, and still no box. I've sent 4 emails and have called 4 times as well, and have only received 1 reply which was about a month ago stating they couldn't find a Sector shaft but had a lead. Been trying and trying to get ahold of them as the I can't drive the car, but haven't been able to get in touch with them. Has anyone ever dealt with them before, and if so, did you have any problems with them? Not really sure how to go about this from here. I'm in Ohio and they are in Texas so I can't just drive down and pick it back up. Any suggestions or have any of you ever dealt with a issue like this?

P.s.- Looks like I'm in the market for a new box regardless if anyone knows of any???

Thanks,
Mark

gasman826

05gt

Canton (50 miles or so south of Cleveleand)

gasman826

Too far.  I'll likely go to GoodGuys in Columbus.

Zapato

2 suggestions . 1st where in Texas is it, may be that there's someone here close by that could swing by and have a quiet civil conversation and clear this up for you. 2nd if you do end up looking for another box find one out of a 58 by all accounts a much better box.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

ditto...."1st where in Texas is it"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

It looks like their address is:  24165 IH10 West, San Antonio. Phone (210) 6871313

RICH MUISE

jmho...if they actively looking for parts for you, that's one thing, but not replying to your emails or calls after 2 months is a different matter. You didn't mention any money, so I'm assuming there was none paid yet. That's a good thing, and maybe a good indication of a normally reputable shop. I hear stories on the HAMB about guys in the same boat with different shops and projects, but with lots of cash paid up front that ended up being lost. You might think of doing a search on the HAMB for the shop to see if any threads have been going on. Particularly if you are not a long time Hamb member with lots of posts, I'd strongly suggest not starting a thread there.
They eat up newbies or low post count members when they start a thread to complain or even mention a problem with a shop.
I'm in Texas, but San Antonio is a loooonnnggg way from here, never been there, but I think we have some members in that area.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

I think this is a classic issue and mistake made quite often in this hobby of ours. We often go out of our area for services that are close to home. We just need to keep asking other people. For example am currently helping a friend build a 42 ford pickup. It would have been really easy to send his water pumps as cores all the way across the country and pay shipping both ways. However a conversation at NAPA guided us to a local shop that rebuilds them about 4 miles from the house. There are hundreds of small shops out there doing incredible work but its the magazine darlings as much as China that steal all their work. 1-800 works but so do many of our neighbors.

Zapato

suede57ford

Same thing happened to me with the same vendor.  He did a fantastic job on the '69 Mach box, after many calls and a deadline.  I sent the box off my Talladega and never heard back.  I finally gave up and never got my Talladega box back.   I think the guy is really talented, but too busy, and can't keep up, and is a horrible communicator.  I wish he was more reliable, as I could use him several times every year with all the projects I'm doing.

Good Luck, and let us know what happens.

You really need to use a '58 or '59 box and column if your going to the effort to get a good box.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Zapato

If you decide to go with a 58-9 box, contact Oris Hove on the HAMB he's great guy to deal with and has a few 59s he's parting  out. Believe its just O.Hove on the board.

Zapato

Wirenut

I live about 30 miles from the address you have listed for them. If you can send me some contact information and details or shipping ticket I can go and talk to them for you if you like. I am going to McAllen on Monday but should be back and able to go on Tuesday or Wed. My cell is 956-607-3778 I am willing to visit them on your behalf if you want me to..

05gt

Well thanks for all of the input guys. Sorry to hear the same thing happened to you suede57ford. I had done some research on him before I sent him the box, and most people confirmed what you said about him being really good at rebuilding them, and I figured with parts hard to come by for these boxes, he would be the guy to go with. I did check locally, but didn't have much luck with being able to find anyone who could do the rebuild for me. Not sure if I should keep trying to get ahold of the guy or just drop it. Hate giving up the stock box, but already paid $60 to ship it, and hate to throw more money into it with his fee's for looking over the box and return shipping if it didn't get rebuilt. I have found a site that sells rebuilt 58' boxes with a 1 year warranty. Anyone ever delt with carsteering.com? Here's a link to the box itself:

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart/1958_Ford/Fairlane/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box/82-70204.html

Wrenut, I may give you a call later on today. The number will be from 330-705-7176

Zapato

Wow! almost $700- if you don't have a core. I have been out of the hobby (actively) much too long current prices just blow me away. I'd see if I could find a cheap core and take some of the bite out of the equation.

Zapato

gasman826

Sold my boxes way too cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!