News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Help, rocker oil pressure.

Started by 1930artdeco, 2023-06-10 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Help, I need to know if this is the correct amount of oil going to the pass side rockers. Spun the pump to about 600 rpm.

Here is a short vid of it. If not allowed please delete and I will find a different way.

Thanks,

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1957Fords/permalink/2148473595338891/?mibextid=W9rl1R
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Only Facebook members can see...so I'm out. Some of the other guys have FB...I do not.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Yeah, the site wont even register the video on my phone☹️. So this may be my only option. I am sure there are other options but I am technically challenged.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

1930artdeco

Try this link to you tube.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Does not seem to be much oil to me. I would think more than that at 600 rpm. A sick idle was (I believe...been a long time) 550 and automatic was 700.
We need someone else to verify the idle RPM's.
I would think the oil flow should be a bit more.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Is your cam shaft grooved or cross drilled? What is the oil viscosity?
If your drill motor is 600 rpm that is equivalent to 1200 engine rpm.   
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

IDK but to me that doesn't seem like much oil flow. IIRC adjusting the valves at idle often had oil splashing everywhere but I am getting old and CRS. Fifty plus years ago I put several auxiliary oilers on y blocks. It was almost a common thing to find them on y blocks.  There were two types:  one used a hollow stud that retained the valve cover and the other came in between the valve cover and the head and connected to the end of the rail.
Terry

1930artdeco

I just read my drill and realized that low speed is 0-400 rpm. So will film another one at a faster speed. Tim built the engine so I will call him this week to verify things and if I need to go any further.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

cokefirst

If Tim built that engine, I would think it would be spot on.  He does wonderful work.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

1930artdeco

I showed two vids of the oil to Tim and he suggested rotating the engine while I prime the engine. Then it occurred to me that the cam may be in just the right position to cut off oil to the pass bank. This is my first Y block and I am slightly paranoid about getting enough oil to the rockers. I will have this thing buttoned up in a day if the oil flows correctly prepping to fire her up!
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

hiball3985

Quote from: 1930artdeco on 2023-06-12 11:19I showed two vids of the oil to Tim and he suggested rotating the engine while I prime the engine. Then it occurred to me that the cam may be in just the right position to cut off oil to the pass bank. This is my first Y block and I am slightly paranoid about getting enough oil to the rockers. I will have this thing buttoned up in a day if the oil flows correctly prepping to fire her up!
Thats why I asked if it had a cross drilled cam. If you can have some help by turning the engine over slowly while you run the drill the holes in the cam and bearing should line up at some point. good luck. :001:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

These engines do not require a lot of valve train oil.  Have you ever adjusted your valves with engine running?  Too much oil will be sucked down intake guides. If you had a good builder it will be fine.  Hell early OHV engines didn't even have top engine oiling, they got an occasional squirt with supplied oil can. Some also has an oil soaked pad laid on top of rockers.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

1930artdeco

I am going to turn the engine over tonight by the starter and use the drill to turn the oil pump at the same time. Hoping this works.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

1930artdeco

UPDATE: As usual TIm was right and I was paranoid. I spun the engine and the oil pump and the oil return tube blew off and she shot oil all over the solenoid. IT is back on tighter now;) To be fair though this is my first Y block and I was going to make damn sure the rockers all got the right amount of oil! I mean I spent good money on that engine. Anywho, the valve covers are down (until I half to pull them to verify the gap during the engine break in), fan is on, PS is bolted up, and the lower rad hose is now on. Gaskets come on Friday and then I can bolt up the intake, valley pan, and hook the carb up. Getting close now!
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Sounds good! Making rapid progress!
So...at the risk of sounding ignorant...who is this "Tim" everyone seems to know about but me?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker