News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bad roadtrip 10 days ago.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2023-11-02 12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Visegrips are my go to for rounded off bolt heads.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

since this is the easy to reach bolt. Do you still have a welder, Rich ? I drill out the threads from rather large nuts (M10 or 7/16 that is a 17mm or 11/16 wrench) and then slip it over the stud and weld it to the rounded head or broken stud with a real hot weld  and high Ampere setting. let cool off for a few seconds until the nut has changed from tomato red to blue, and unbolt the broken watchamacallitthingy.... :003: works all the time, even with  decades of frozen solid rusted junkyard car bolts....

Lgcustom

Rich,
Can you drill a hole in the head of the bolt and use a regular screw extractor(easy-out)? Or can you get vice grips on the head from the side?

59meteor

Any chance that you can hammer a slightly smaller SAE 6 point socket, over the partially rounded off bolt head? Between the tight fit, and the hammering, it MAY walk right out.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-11-06 13:53since this is the easy to reach bolt. Do you still have a welder, Rich ? I drill out the threads from rather large nuts (M10 or 7/16 that is a 17mm or 11/16 wrench) and then slip it over the stud and weld it to the rounded head or broken stud with a real hot weld  and high Ampere setting. let cool off for a few seconds until the nut has changed from tomato red to blue, and unbolt the broken watchamacallitthingy.... :003: works all the time, even with  decades of frozen solid rusted junkyard car bolts....

Never thought of that. Excellent idea. I'll keep that one in mind!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Got it done. With a better/new 6 point socket we were able to get the other two bolts out with little hassle. Just took the two of us. We then used an air grinder with a large carbide burr to grind the head off the stubborn one. Only took 10 minutes or so. The starter is out, we'll deal with the leftover stud in the bellousing after the engine is out. Should be out tomorrow........just need to locate my chains.
Derrick and I decided to head up to our old home area in Colorado for a few days.....after the replacement engine is dropped in and all hooked up on the underside...maybe this weekend.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Got 90% of the stuff done to the replacement engine needed before it goes in. If all goes well tomorrow, we may give it a shot by the afternoon. It's been many years since my son and I did a project together, been enjoying that.

hiball3985

Good for you Rich :001: I'm getting to the point of doubting I can do that kind of work :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Go for it Rich!  Having an adult child to help is priceless!  None of my girls are the least bit interested in cars or working on them.  Might be because they grew up in the "car scene" and have may miles in the back seat of the 36........
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'm right there with you, Jim. It probably would have ended up being a winter-long project if my son wasn't here to help. He's only got 4 days left, so I'm hoping we can get the motor at least installed and bolted to the tranny, engine mounts, and starter installed. Everything else is just tedious but doable for me. It'll just be slow. I keep cans of "BOOST" handy....for me, not the car, lol.
Bill, Derrick is not really into the car scene. It's a necessary evil to him.

hiball3985

I'm lucky also, my son is a car guy and will help anytime I need him but haven't had any major work to do so far. I work 15 minutes and then I have to rest for 30  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Had a few glitches that took some time..........broken bolt in the block, my old front sump oil pick-up tube flange that didn't match the new engine, almost forgetting the 1/8 spacer that goes between the block and tranny's bellhousing etc., but all has been taken care of. Yesterday we got the engine in and today we got it all bolted together, motor mount's stud nuts on, starter installed, torque converter bolted down, exhaust hooked up, and the rack and pinion almost reinstalled. We discovered late an apparent misalighnment on the rack, tomorrow we'll figure that out and that'll finish up the underside. That's all I was hoping to get done when Derrick was here, so we're in good shape.

hiball3985

Great progress Rich. You should be on the road again pretty soon :001:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Can't sell it now...gotta get your moneys worth back out of the labor and engine!  :003:  :burnout:  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

You be back driving in a week Rich!. great progress indeed!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com