incredible low milage original tan/white 4dr Country sedan wagon on ebay

Started by djfordmanjack, 2021-01-12 15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

This is not mine.
If anybody is in the market, THIS is the wagon to buy. it is just unbelievable and it knocks me out. Can you believe it ! 27k miles survivor.
considering how many hours and how much money goes into restoration of a project car, this survivor seems quite reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Ford-Station-Wagon-tan/324421689699?hash=item4b890a2163:g:0XwAAOSwi9Zf262P

djfordmanjack

just look at that spectacular factory original linoleum flooring and headliner.....everybody knows how both usually get stained, worn and ripped. not this one. They must have pampered that ole Lady. wow.....!

djfordmanjack

and that dash, inserts, wheel and button..... Nobody can possibly ever restore it like that. it is virtually factory fresh.

And that factory rubber floor mat !!!!! OMG, can you believe this.

click on pics to enlarge

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-01-12 15:57
just look at that spectacular factory original linoleum flooring and headliner.....everybody knows how both usually get stained, worn and ripped. not this one. They must have pampered that ole Lady. wow.....!
Ole ladys usually didn't put headers on 27,000 mile station wagons  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

you are correct Jim ! but judging from the VIN tag and other things the milage appears to be real. imho. he also writes something about the power steering not installed, so maybe they were messing around with that? I have never seen a cracked Y block manifold before, that needed replacing. and 57s didn't have the crossover pipe anymore, they were always dual manifolds and joined under the bellhousing for a single muffler/tailpipe?!

Are you seeing more things indicative of not being what seller states ? just asking out of personal interest. not to pick on a seller.

djfordmanjack

The valve cover decal seems to be a replacement and thats an awful lot of camber caster shims ?!? but it even has the spark plug wire shieldings in place. m/c and brake light switch/wire loom all seem og. can you see the og vaccuum line clip in place ?
64 years is a loooooong time. :002:

There is something about survivor cars that makes me flip out.

hiball3985

From the dirt on the steering gear box, the column rust, paint on the timing chain cover, valley cover it doesn't jive with the rest of the condition, It looks like a nice restoration but I have my doubts about being original. You really can tell unless you see it in person and crawl all over it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

I hear you Jim, slight overspray found on the frame or elsewhere would tell us a lot. But from my own experience with those cars, it could be a true survivor. look at those dimples in the white vinyl on the seats. that's just the way they were padded with cotton backing from the factory. I doubt that anybody would go to the length recreating these details. look at those stunning door panels. check out the switch panels chrome and paint detailing. Usually a huge sign for turned over oddometers or restored cars is the gauge cluster. on High milage cars usually the plastichrome flakes off heavily and repainted panels never look that crisp around the idiot lights. this speedo bezel has just minor wear and check the Philips head screws and rubber seal around that mint looking gear selector. I have yet to see a cargo area linoleum flooring that looks so close to (or hopefully is) original. no scratches or misalignment on the bench chrome parts. A dead giveaway would be cracked or recovered wheel well covers. but look at those things, they appear to be the original grained brown vinyl in great condition. I have probably seen pics of dozens if not hundreds of 57 wagons and none had such pretty cargo flooring and a not rust stained (from roof bows) fabric headliner, which seems to be totally original ( ok SMS makes a proper reproduction, so we don't know).

I believe that surface rust and dust in the engine compartment would occur after 64 years. But as you pointed out, that modern header makes you start to wonder.

I still want to believe that this is an always garaged survivor car.

djfordmanjack

that door dealer decal next to the og factory stamp, sans any overspray, that looks pretty real to me.

djfordmanjack

Jim, look at the cad plated body mount bolts, the Philips head screws everywhere, the taillight crosswire loom hanging from the panel (again no overspray), the hinges, those said wheel well covers, the stainless tailgate strips and all. How was anybody going to restore these minute details without asking 100k for the car ?

I studied the hardware section of the body book may times. even the large flat headed metalscrews that hold the linoleum corners to the panels, they appear totally factory correct. Now I have owned 3 57 wagons so far and it was always a mix of this and that, while my 4dr is also a survivor and had mostly correct hardware, but the flooring was pretty much shot and chipping off.

hiball3985

You might be right G, but I still have my doubts  :002:. Look at the adjusting screw on the steering box, it appears to be screwed all the way in, that wouldn't be necessary on a 27000 mile car. A car that old and in that condition would have spent 95% of it's life in a garage and the engine should be in equivalent condition. The steering column is painted, how did it end up so rusty?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

you definitely have a point there ! I really don't understand those neglected mechanical parts as well. maybe the car has 127k and was freshened up/cleaned inside.

djfordmanjack

JIM !!!

the rust on the column.... the m/c sits directly on top of it. maybe spilled brake fluid ?

I just.....well.....I just want to believe this car is real. Please just let me have my sweet dream for this night, at least...hahaha.... :002: :003:

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-01-12 17:18
JIM !!!

the rust on the column.... the m/c sits directly on top of it. maybe spilled brake fluid ?

I just.....well.....I just want to believe this car is real. Please just let me have my sweet dream for this night, at least...hahaha.... :002: :003:
OK, no problem sweet dreams  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

You know what, Jim, my sleep is already ruined tonight. and a little phoney, when somebody advertising such a car and he is not even using the correct model designation (station wagon , instead of Country Sedan), doesn't know the correct color name ( just 'tan' for Doeskin Tan and Colonial White) and he doesn't even read the VIN tag and laying out the codes. He might not be a 57 enthusiast at all and how would he be able to verify original paint, those factory overspray patterns and primer colors under the floorboards, that we have all studied so well here. I have to admit that your concerns are growing on me....

Nonetheless, this appears to be a super nice, clean dry and very original 57, whether cosmetically restored or survivor, and anybody interested in it would be highly encouraged to check it out in person!