News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The "scrub" LS engines

Started by sprink88, 2014-12-05 16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

Has anyone ever played with these? I have to admit I am pretty impressed. I think they are the new "hot rod" engine, replacing the 350.

A buddy of mine got a 6.0 from the junkyard, put a carb manifold on it and a cam, a blow through E85 carb and a Chinese Ebay 68 mm turbo. Went to the dyno and made 903 hp at the flywheel and 730ish at the tire.

Another buddy just picked up a 4.8 LS plans on the same turbo build but is adding a 250 shot of nitrous. Hopes to make as much as the 6.0 guy, when he blows it up, just go to the junkyard and get another one for $150.
~Chris

rmk57

i think reality says that if it's truly a junkyard motor that makes 903hp it will end up there again quite soon.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Sprink...your hangin' with the wrong crowd. It's all for naught anyways..some twenty-something will pull up next to them in a Honda and wipe their butts.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

Rmk, that is the best part, Around here you can get a running 6.0 for $400-600. A 4.8 costs you about $150 To much boost and they just go get a new one. Hate to say it, but I think Ford effed up on the modular engine. Can't find numbers like that on a 4.6.

Rich, I AM hanging with the wrong crowd. I am the only Ford guy in our group.
~Chris

JPotter57

I hate reading anything about an ls.  Im about to cancel my subscription to hr and cc because thats all they write about.  Sick of hearing about them.  Totally.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

By the way Sprink. Yes you can find numbers like that in a 4.6...the fastest one in the country is in thse 6s in the quarter.  You can boost a stock one reliably to 650. More than that you would need to upgrade rods.  The reason there are so many of those turds in old cars is because hotrod and car craft said it was cool.  Personally,  I would rather see an empty engine bay than to see another ls in anything.
Old, loud, and fast.

BP57CUSTOM

A friend of mine has just finished putting a 5.3 LS in an 89 Mustang , we set the toe-in this morning and went for a ride, pretty fast , but I would have left the 5.0 in it.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Zapato

Barry, looks like its a good chance to snag a 5.0...........

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

junior58

Grrr, grates me why anyone would put a scrub in a Mustang, plenty of good Ford motors if you want to repower (or a Lexus if ya wana go really crazy)
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

JPotter57

Me too Steve, me too.  I can't stand to see a scrub in ANY Ford.  Period, no excuse for it, unless you just like screwing up a good Ford.
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

BP57CUSTOM

It is a good 5.0 , he let his son have it to go into a car he is building.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

57 imposter

I have a 5.0L GT in my 58 project car and a 4.6L GT in my 61 unibody. wouldn't  trade either one of them for any LS motor. I know they can make big power. I friend of mine twin turbo-ed his 2010 Camaro. think he is getting close to 700 at the rear wheels. A guy I know beat me out of my dream project when he took a laser straight black on black 1956 210 post and put a 4 cam Cobra with a 6 speed in it. First class build from the ground up. Sends the GM crowd into orbit. Can't imaging why it bothers them so much when you think of the millions of Fords that have been bastardised with GM power. 

hiball3985

Not everyone is stupid, I met a guy with a beautiful 1957 Chevy and guess what? It's got a 427 FORD in it.... He is usually at out local car show on Sat mornings, I'll try to get a picture some day when I'm over there. I don't do car show very often.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

That would be sweet to see
~Chris