News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trailer assist

Started by Limey57, 2014-12-19 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

You may have heard of "park assist" where some cars have the ability to reverse park themselves, VW have gone a step further in removing common sense from motoring with "trailer assist". No, it isn't April 1st!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ruB5XYObtQ#t=198

Note, European travel trailers are a lot lighter than US trailers and 99% of trailer towing is done with family sedans and wagons.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

BP57CUSTOM

That's cool , what'll they think up next
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

hiball3985

All the new gadgets may be cool, either geared to the mindless or lazy. I think when the day comes that I can't park or back up a trailer I'll give of my license.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

As much as I find technology interesting, reducing the driver control of a car is craxy IMO. I can think of many occasions when my phone/PC has crashed and needed rebooting, inconvenient but not life threatening. Imagine a car needing rebooting on the freeway?

I have to reverse our trailer up our road then round the side of our house, the day I rely on technology to do that is the day I get rid of it
Gary

1957 Ranchero

petew

Can you imagine the bill to fix that little option after the warranty is up and it ****s the bed ? And of course it would knock out some other mandatory system when it went. I have owned a VW Passat and can tell you that wiring and electrical systems are not a strong point for them.

All of these automatic features are great on a rental or a lease vehicle but I don't want to own any of them.

Jeff Norwell

I can see lawsuits in all these new car gadgets.People are truly stupid. :002:
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

I agree, but you still can't have my GPS.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I believe in simplicity. I still like maps and directions. My "other car" needs a steering angle sensor so the "Electronic Stability Program" is not functioning neither does the cruise control for the same reason. They only want $826 to fix it. REALLY?

Since the '57 has a manual transmission the pool of possible car theives is substantially reduced since few people these days can drive standards! Pretty soon people won't know how to drive period as cars become "smarter".

"God is great, beer is good and people are crazy" :occasion14:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I always still carry a map....still easier to plan MY route, not the GPS's...however there's nothing like a GPS when your in a big city you don't know that well, lots of traffic, and your not sure where your turns are....kinda hard to look at a map doing 60 in traffic. Before GPS's, I'd have to pull off the highway someplace where I could stop and look at a map. Don't have to do that anymore.
Rich

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-12-20 14:41
however there's nothing like a GPS when your in a big city you don't know that well, lots of traffic, and your not sure where your turns are....kinda hard to look at a map doing 60 in traffic.

Agreed!  I occasionally have to go to France (on my own), I dive across and have to drive through the middle of Dijon, after being behind the wheel for many hours.  Wrong side of the road, strange road signs, distances in km instead of miles, if it wasn't for sat-nav I'd be stuck!  However, I also always carry maps in the trunk, occasionally the sat-nav freezes and the last thing I need is to be in the middle of somewhere unrecognisable without hving a clue which way to go.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

OK guys, I guess I'll cave on the GPS. :003: I dont have one and I drive the state going to rural water systems. I have driven in New York before GPS so I get what you're saying. You would think as an engineer I would look at technology differently but it seems like these days if we can do it we are doing it whether there is a need or not.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

"I occasionally have to go to France (on my own), I dive across ...."
We've heard about you guys swimming the channel..lol

lalessi1

They got that chunnel thing....is that diving over....
Lynn

hiball3985

A better gadget would be a system to relieve yourself so you didn't have to get off the hiway.

Now I do that and read the map at the same time..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-12-20 17:15
"I occasionally have to go to France (on my own), I dive across ...."
We've heard about you guys swimming the channel..lol

WANTED, fully functioning keyboard with an R key that works all the time.  :003:
Gary

1957 Ranchero