News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater core removal...

Started by BBoswell, 2014-12-27 13:06

Previous topic - Next topic

BBoswell

Winter is here and wouldn't you know the heater core has started leaking. What is the best way to get the heater core out for repair?

Lucky'57

Depends, do you have "Factory Air"?
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

BBoswell

Custom 300 without air conditioning.

Lucky'57

These are big so I'll send two.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Lucky'57

...and the second Pic. These are out of the '57 Shop Manual (page 8-24).

BBoswell

I can't see all of the instructions but if I'm understanding what a can see and read, the heater core is removed from the firewall side and doesn't require taking anything apart under the dash.

Lucky'57

Here are the Fig 20 & 21. Looks like just the temperature control cable and maybe a vacuum line.

Lucky'57

It sure looks like it has to come out from inside the car as you can only access it by removing the plenum chamber.

Lucky'57

Here's the whole chapter. 7 pics.

Lucky'57

3 & 4

Lucky'57

5 & 6

Lucky'57

and 7. Hope this helps.

Lucky'57

On a final note, based on what I've read on the forum, there's a seal on the temperature control valve that often fails. If that's not it you will need to replace it anyway if you rebuild the core. MAC's or Carpenter.

BBoswell

Thanks for all the scanning and information. It definitely helps a lot. If I'm going to all this trouble and expense I should probably change all the heater core related parts. I just checked and Mac's has everything except the vacuum thermostat valve. I'm not finding that anywhere. Any suggestions on where I can find that part? Thanks again for all your help.

Limey57

I've just done all of this on re-assembling my Ranchero which is the same set up.  The valve is available on EBay and yes, the gasket/seal is a poor design so I used plenty of "instant gasket".  It is all removed from inside the car and if I were you I'd take the opportunity to flush out the heater core, I used de-scaler for kettles and you wouldn't believe the muck it shifted! If you need photographs just shout as mine is all still accessible.
Gary

1957 Ranchero