News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater core removal...

Started by BBoswell, 2014-12-27 13:06

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: BBoswell on 2014-12-28 13:17
This is the one I would personally prefer (KISS mentality) and I'm still looking. No luck so far. Thanks for the photo.
I like that too but it just drove me crazy the the heater control cable wasn't attached to anything to control  :003: I have never seen one listed on Ebay like that for a 57, so it may be off a truck, Tbird, Mercury ??? Maybe they came on stripped down fleet models?? Sorry I can't be more help locating one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I think it goes back to whether or not the heater is factory or dealer installed. Look at the photo of 57AGINs interior, (1st page, 4th row, middle picture, surf board) in the "members gallery section" you can see a dealer installed heater. These heaters originally had completely  different controls installed in the factory block off plate in the dash. Probably no temperature control at all with a fan switch I would guess. I have seen these on a couple of cars. The picture posted is not a valve but merely a connector, the valve would probably be a manual petcock type valve located on the engine.
Lynn

BBoswell

Well, I decided to go with the vacuum valve since that is what is in the car now. I contacted the fellow that lalessi1 recommended and was able to purchase everything new except the heater core from him. I'll order the heater core from Mac's. Just want to say thanks to everyone for their help in determining what I have and what I need.

Jerrys Kars

Good luck. I will be doing the same thing to my Fairlane. Will be looking for further tips.

BBoswell

I'll keep you posted when I do mine. The weather here is in the 20-35 degree range and I'm having to do this in a carport so it may be a while. From the diagrams and info I've gathered from the forum it doesn't seem to complicated, just requires removing a lot of stuff to gain access.

Lucky'57

Quote from: BBoswell on 2014-12-29 11:21
I'll keep you posted when I do mine.

Looking forward hear were it was leaking and some pics. Doing my Fairlane in February as well.

Ron
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

hiball3985

Just curious why you chose the vacuum rather then the capillary? I try to eliminate as many vacuum lines as possible, I don't like vacuum leak problems..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BBoswell

Several reasons. First I took into account that other than the leak my heating system works great. So since vacuum is what is in the car now it "should be" a simple replacement. Also considered the fact my car has very good vacuum. My final consideration was that I have had problems with capillary controlled heating products (home related) in the past. Short answer is that I just went with my gut feeling.

I do however have a vacuum line question. The shop manual shows the vacuum going to the vacuum controll piece for the valve coming from a "vacuum t". It doesn't show where the other two lines go. From what I can tell my vacuum line is a straight shot and doesn't "t" unless it does that inside the plenum.

lalessi1

I noticed that too, but I just ran mine to the engine. Maybe an AC vacuum line connection...? I really couldn't imagine another vacuum line seemingly under the dash to tee into.
Lynn

Lucky'57

Quote from: BBoswell on 2014-12-28 11:02

There is a manual for sale locally but when I called and ask if it had anything on the heater core the man looked thru it and said it didn't. I think he may be wrong because judging from the cover it looks like the same manual that is being reprinted and sold by Mac's. Photo attached.

Bos - That's the same manual I was referencing.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

BBoswell

Yep, it is the same manual.

I figured he just didn't know what to look for so I took a drive into town to see for myself . . . . and low and behold right there on the same pages you posted were details on the heater core. Now I have my very own service manual . . . a Christmas present to myself. Now I can start the year off with a new heater core. I didn't realize just how good the heater worked until I disconnected the core from the engine and drove to town in 20+ degree weather . . . brrrrrrr! 

My 2015 to do list includes installing my new Weiand intake, chrome tube grille and louvered hood. Then hopefully my Custom 300 will be complete to my satisfaction. After that I can turn to finishing my Ranchero which will require some custom building. I can't find a non-snap tonneau so I'm going build one. I'm also going to build a new console that is more service friendly and replace my B&M shifter with a Gennie shifter. Sounds like a fun 2015 for me.

I wish all of you have a safe New Years Eve celebration and a healthy, happy and exciting 2015.

Lucky'57

Wholly cow. That's a lot of good work lined up. Good for you! Jebus H. Kristy, could you just focus on one car at a time, I don't know about the other '57 guys but I'm getting a little confused  LOL "You the Man"

You fellas have a great 2015, stay focused, remember, it's not about what you love, it's about WHO loves you.

Lucky57

BBoswell

I guess it is a lot but that is my entire list for 2015 . . . and that is if there are on more unexpected things pop up like the heater core failure. I have been gathering the parts for my list for a couple of years and now it is time to start installing them. Building the tonneau and console are both bartering projects. The way I look at it is that I'm running out of years so I have to shoot for the moon when it comes to getting things done.

I also hope everyone has a fun and exciting 2015. My new year is off to a great start with a trip up north today for a visit with my 2 sons and my new 4 month old grandson.

hiball3985

The unexpected always pop up and at the wrong time. The heater core in my 66 Mustang started leaking today when returning from a movie with the grand kids. I was notified by the wife that her feet were getting wet  :003:

This the first time I have been to a movie theater in about 20 years, $9 for a large pop corn, yikes!!! I'm behind the times..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jerrys Kars

I did a heater core in a 69 Mustang. Word to the wise, if the manual says to remove a part in the process, Do it. Will save a lot  of grief.