News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Help on removing exterior trim

Started by akusler763, 2020-10-13 13:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo

My car is being repaired from a deer accident.  When the car was restored it was not done as it would have been done at the factory.  I have been looking through catalogs and cannot seem to find a complete kit for attaching the side trim on a 57 Fairlane 500 2 door.  Has anyone found a complete kit instead of buying all the individual pieces?

59meteor

Not sure about 57s, but for my 59, I was able to buy some NOS Ford body clips from "Back Counter", some reproduction clips from Dennis Carpenter, reuse a few of the originals, and for the rest, which I was unable to find replacements for, modify some aftermarket "universal" type clips to make them work. One thing that helped, was I have an original 59 Ford/Meteor body parts catalog, and a Collision manual, which provided at the part numbers for each clip used on each section of trim, the quantity of each, as well as illustrations of each clip for comparison. Carpenter, and I imagine, most od the other vendors, often use the old part numbers, so by Googling each number, you may find some for sale on the internet, or who (if anybody) offers reproductions of specific clips. With the clips I bought from Carpenter, some worked perfect, some worked with minor tweaks, and some were basically useless.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.