News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

SOLD 1957 or newer Y block engine and rebuilt jasper transin pa

Started by FORD40, 2024-04-19 20:26

Previous topic - Next topic

FORD40

SOLD For sale a 1957 or newer Y block engine and rebuilt jasper trans.
You can hear it run on a pallet .
needs carb cleaned, has new stater, 75 lbs oil pressure cold . Its a Cleveland block so its a 292 or 312 as close I can tell from the stroke is a 312 but I can not prove this. Look at pictures. $1100 OBO
NO TEXTS!!!
724===882==43==51

thomasso

Its very hard to tell much about a Y block by pictures.  This one looks to me like like maybe 55-56 Mercury.  As I recall Mercury as having Yellow valve covers.  And the teapot 4bbl was not used after 56 except on E and F code cars. 312s used the flat top exhaust manifolds at least in 57. Of course I could be all wrong.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

terry_208

Quote from: thomasso on 2024-04-20 11:29Its very hard to tell much about a Y block by pictures.  This one looks to me like like maybe 55-56 Mercury.  As I recall Mercury as having Yellow valve covers.  And the teapot 4bbl was not used after 56 except on E and F code cars. 312s used the flat top exhaust manifolds at least in 57. Of course I could be all wrong.
I believe you're right.  My thought was a 56 Mercury!  IIRC the Teapot signifies a narrow bolt pattern  "A" manifold.
Terry

FORD40

As you can see the valve covers were painted ford blue then painted yellow .
The block has a screw on oil filter so I thought it would be a newer engine .
 It came out of an estate he had 56=56 fords . the intakes and exhaust can be interchanged.
Its hard to tell what year and model it came from. 

thomasso

I see the blue valve covers now.  However I cant remember any Y blocks with blue covers.  Again I could be wrong. Is the filter a direct screw on or does it have an adapter?
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

59meteor

Of course, who knows what may or may not have been changed on a over 65 year old engine over time, but in the photos, the intake and exhaust manifolds, and carb all indicate 1955 or 56, the distributor could also help narrow the year down, but again, only if parts haven`t been replaced over the many years. I don`t put too much faith in trying to ID parts by paint colors of such old parts, that have likely been repainted after all those years.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

FORD40

Quote from: thomasso on 2024-04-20 19:31I see the blue valve covers now.  However I cant remember any Y blocks with blue covers.  Again I could be wrong. Is the filter a direct screw on or does it have an adapter?
The filter is a direct screw I think that started in 57