News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wheel Vintiques rims for disc brakes

Started by JimNolan, 2010-10-14 16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   Has anyone on this website converted thier car to disc brakes and used Wheel Vintiques as a rim supplier. I need two 14" wheels 5-5 1/2" wide with 3 5/8 - 3 3/4" backspace. I want to be able to run the original wheel covers. The Ford Ranger wheels I use now have 4 3/8" backspace and that's too much.
   I've got two Wheel Vintiques 7" wide wheels with 4 1/8" backspace that doesn't work with my disc brakes. I talked to them on the phone and they are trying to figure out if they have a wheel that will work. I thought I'd ask you guys if you've been through this.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

dgasman

What disc brake setup are you using ? On my 58 I have the Granada discs and was using a stock 14 inch steal wheel from a mid 70s Ford intermediate car.
The rim was 5.5 inch wide and the stock hubcaps fit with no problem .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

JimNolan

dgasman,
   I have the D.G. Enterprises Drop N Stop conversion. I kept my spindles and just got the pieces that allowed the disc brake conversion. I think the guys name was Doug and he told me the calipers was from a 70's model Beretta (GM). Best of my recollection. I bought 4 wheels from Ebay that was suppose to be nice wheels from a 78 Cougar but when they got here the rust was so bad on the wheels that the steel was flaking off. ( That's in arbitration now )
  Wheel Vintiques sells wheels that you can't tell from an original Ford wheel but the ones I got hit the caliper. I'm working with Joe at Wheel Vintiques now but he can't understand why the wheels I bought from them doesn't fit. I was hoping someone here had bought a set of wheels from them that did work. That way I could give him the part number and know what to order.
    I've got one Ford Wheel that works great but it doesn't have the typical Ford part number (6M76 etc.) It has a "29" and a "C84" stamped in it. Also it has an "RL 2" stamped at the valve stem hole. I have no idea what car it came from. It has a 3 3/8" backspace and it's a 5 1/2" wide wheel.
   Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jim

RICH MUISE

Jim...I'm curious..did the Cougar wheels, that were too rusty to use, fit?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
  I was too furious to even conceder getting anything that rusty close to the car. It would be nice knowing if they fit though. I may try them this weekend just to see if they work.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: JimNolan on 2010-10-14 17:22
dgasman,
   I have the D.G. Enterprises Drop N Stop conversion. I kept my spindles and just got the pieces that allowed the disc brake conversion. I think the guys name was Doug and he told me the calipers was from a 70's model Beretta (GM). Best of my recollection. I bought 4 wheels from Ebay that was suppose to be nice wheels from a 78 Cougar but when they got here the rust was so bad on the wheels that the steel was flaking off. ( That's in arbitration now )
  Wheel Vintiques sells wheels that you can't tell from an original Ford wheel but the ones I got hit the caliper. I'm working with Joe at Wheel Vintiques now but he can't understand why the wheels I bought from them doesn't fit. I was hoping someone here had bought a set of wheels from them that did work. That way I could give him the part number and know what to order.
    I've got one Ford Wheel that works great but it doesn't have the typical Ford part number (6M76 etc.) It has a "29" and a "C84" stamped in it. Also it has an "RL 2" stamped at the valve stem hole. I have no idea what car it came from. It has a 3 3/8" backspace and it's a 5 1/2" wide wheel.
   Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jim
ford wheels use the number by the valve stem hole.RL is a 14x5.5 wheel for a 79-82 full size ford or mercury

JimNolan

Canadian,
    Bless your heart. Where in the world did you find that information. Jim

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: JimNolan on 2010-10-15 05:53
Canadian,
    Bless your heart. Where in the world did you find that information. Jim
hollander is the interchange system most auto wreckers use.i have a copy of the 1993 wheel identification and interchange,in the back part of the book they list wheels by that number by the valve stem.[as a side note i have hollander information from the late 20's to 2004]

RICH MUISE

Gary...a while back I was on the Hamb and somebody refered to you as a walking encyclopedia..you're amazing..something we here at this website have realized for a while now.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Guys,
   I second the motion, Gary is amazing. Thanks again Gary, I'll know what to look for now.
    Back to the Ebay Wheels. Guys, I'm sorry but I don't have time to try the 77-78 Cougar wheels. Ebay sent me the results (3 days)of the resolution center. Seems they decided to send me four shipping labels to send the wheels back to the guy I bought them from. Also, they decided I would get the complete cost of the transaction back, shipping included. I've had 250 transactions on Ebay and my Positive Feedback is 100%. I had already taken pictures of the wheels he sent me to show Ebay that they weren't the wheels he had advertised. They didn't care. If I didn't like them, they'd refund my money. You can't beat that with a stick.
   Again, thanks Gary. I'm still looking for wheels. Jim