News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

312 TBIRD SPECIAL Appearing 351W

Started by KULTULZ, 2007-05-12 06:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KULTULZ

Just thought I would share this-

A buddy and I went to this guy's shop about a year ago looking for some part, can't remember what it was. He specializes in mechanical work on older FORD.

He has this beautiful FAIRLANE 500 sitting in the front yard. We walk over to look at it and he asks do you want to see the engine?

He raises the hood and of course everyting is detailed. Yep, stock 312 detailed nicely...

...what the ...something ain't quite right. I look back at this guy and he is grinning ear to ear...

Then it dawns on me. Ain't no 312...it is a 351W made to look like a 312. He says he doesn't know how many he has fooled at shows and these were oldtimers.

The air cleaner was stock, painted the original argent. The rocker covers (with PCV provisions) were black with BIRD SPECIAL decals mounted. The only thing that really gave it away was the distributor.

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

meteor

My original plan was to give my 302 a vintage look, bought the 312 original valve covers, almost bought an old original oilbath air cleaner and was gonna paint it all red and black like the original V8s. Not meant to fool anyone, just something different...

I've since changed direction, early sixties Cal Custom finned valve covers and maybe gold paint (inspired by a fellow member here). I'd also like to run a three deuce setup.

Fun!
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

KULTULZ

Quote from: meteor on 2007-05-13 20:56

I'd also like to run a three deuce setup.

Three ROCHESTERS (using adaptors);

New BG Six Shooter Setup;

PONY CARBS Setup (3 2100's)

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

57AGIN

Kultutz:

I seem to recall this was a thread some months ago.  There were seveal interesting ideas for converting the looks of the small block Ford engine to resemble a Y-block.  Unfortunately, the distributer does give it away. 

Good luck on your project.

Bob
57AGIN

meteor

Kultultz, I've seen those setups - big $$$. Except the rochester setup, never seen that one - I'm curious about the adapters it uses. I've been considering an adapter (from austrailia) that uses the stock truck EFI manifold, I wonder if those Rochesters would work with it? my biggest question is how much hood clearance there is in the 57 with the 302...

Check these out;

Obviously wouldn't run the stacks or these particular carbs, but it looks cool don't it?

KULTULZ

I've been following the discussion on HAMB regarding this setup. The only thing I see not quite right is that the system is going to be single plane, and that is rough on the street, similiar to the old Log Style intakes. It will be a bear below 1500 RPM and will be a high rough idle.

The ROCH 2G is a four hole mounting pattern smaller than the HOLLEY 2300. Adaptors are readily available to go from one to another. The 94 and 97 is a three bolt mounting pattern and again, adaptors are readily available.

It all comes down to what appearance you want the engine to have.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

57AGIN

Kultultz:

Regarding the hood clearance issue:  I have a 351W with a Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake and have had to run a low height K & N air filter to maintain hood clearance.  I believe I have about half an inch, as measured with some silly putty (don't laugh it works).  The clearance issue is really based on how the engine sits on the motor mounts (Mine are the triangular ones from Butch's Rod Shop) and the height of your intake manifold.  I think most carbs are fairly similar in height (a pure guess on my part) and the height of the air cleaner used.  A couple of photos are attached, but none are taken under a closed hood (obviously).

Hope this helps.

Bob
57AGIN

57AGIN

Kultultz:

Thought some more about your hood clearance issue.  Later tonight, when I get home from work I will go out to the garage and do a measurement (probably from the rear of the engine block to the top of my air cleaner to see how many total inches I have.  You might be able to use this to gage whether you will have sufficient hood clearance.  Maybe someone else has a better suggestion, i.e., they might have a hood scoop (hole in the hood) that would allow a more exact height above block measurement.  Of course it would require that the block be a 351W.

Photo of Butch's Rod Shop motor mount is below.  The triangular motor mount is on the left, a standard small block motor mount is on the right.  The heights look to be pretty close to the same on both types of mounts.

Bob
57AGIN

meteor

Sorry Kultultz, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Thanks for your info Bob, it is very helpful. I would very much appreciate you taking the time to measure. Even though I'm running a 302 it would give me some idea I guess - if only as an estimate.

Kultultz, I've wondered about the 'single plane' aspect of that intake. This stuff is all new to me, lots to learn before making any kind of investment - thank you for your info as well.

Matt

57AGIN

Kultultz & Meteor:

Well I went home and measured the height from top of the rear of the engine block (flat ledge running across the block side to side between the upper bellhousing bold holes) to the top of the nut securing the air cleaner to the carb.  The measurement is 15 & 1/16 inches (using a level to ensure as accurate a measurement as possible).  Although, you will have to take into consideration the fact that my measurement was from the center of a 4-barrel carb and a tri-power setup will have less clearance up front, due to the downward slope of the hood.  Hope this helps, good luck.

Bob
57AGIN