News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

wheel stud /lug size

Started by Frankenstein57, 2013-07-18 06:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of wheels, torque thrusts. The color and style I wanted only came in 17", I got 17x8 with a 4.5" back space. Looks like they will fit ok, I got a set of take off tires from a retro t-bird for free, so I can try those before shelling out $$$$. They call for a 60 degree conical seat on the lugs, anyone know the stud size off hand?  The torino hubs up front are the same as the rears. Mark

RICH MUISE

Not sure what you're looking for, Mark. If you mean the thread, my oem's are 1/2-20. If you're looking for stud length to replace the old studs, I dunno.
Post some pics of your new wheels when you get 'em on..what you got is what I keep going back to. Which finish did you get?
I think picking wheels is as hard a choice as picking a paint color. LOL..I must be spending too much time on the Hamb..lately I've been thinking about larger steelies and later model Ford hubcaps...was just getting ready to research Ford wheel sizes for later model years. I need to go at least 15".
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

TexasFordGuy

The lug's taper is normally 60 degrees (although 45 is common for wheels designed for racing applications)

Most wheel vendors sell them
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Frankenstein57

Rich, I was looking for the thread size to order the lugnuts. I went with the black wheel/aluminum outer ring. I struggled with the decision to go 17", but I don't think 2" will make it look ghetto cruiser. If it doesn't work out I can put them on the 57. When I get them on I'll post a picture.Mark

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/ARE-105M7865B.jpg

Frankenstein57

Got my new wheels on the car, mounted up a set of used Michelen  235/50/17 on these rims. Pretty pleased with the look, clearance is good so far. I have 3/4 on one rear wheel lip, and 3/8 on the other, at the closest spot. I need to get under the car and see if the rear end is off or the body. Took it for a ride tonight to fill up with no alcohol gas, layed it into a sweeping downhill right hander at 55, nothing rubbed.

RICH MUISE

Not sure how those black wheels would work on another color car, but they sure look sharp on your blackie. Size looks great. I guess the same thinking with my probably ending up with the grey spokes on my silver/gray car....just a nice clean look.
Ha, if this were the Hamb you'd have mucho guys telling you you should have gotten red steelies with the small dog dish caps and wide whites. I like this look alot better.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Frankenstein57:

Those Torque Thrusts look really great on your Ranchero.  Recently I tried to get some new washers to replace the ones on my Cragar S/S mags and was very disappointed with the quality of the replacement pieces.  As you may know the Cragar's use a washer that is somewhat out of round to grab a hold of the side of the mag when the lug is tightened.  The new washers must be made in some other country that doesn't know anything about good quality hardening techniques.  I wound up putting the old somewhat scared and with just a bit of rust pitting back onto my rims.  The new washers were junk and the shop I bought them from said that they came directly from the factory. Bummer!!!

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Bob,
I got new lugs and washers for my Cragar SS from Summit and they seem to be good quality.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Bob - you might want to try LA Wheel & Tire in Chatsworth.  I have dealt with them often and always quality products.

57AGIN

hiball3985 &  BWhitmore:

Many thanks, I check those out.  I just had gone back to where I bought the tires & rims and thought they would have the same quality parts as back in 2004.  Live and learn.

Bob
57 AGIN