News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Frame differences

Started by 57ford, 2014-10-26 13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

57ford

Hi guys. Newbie here from over the pond! Just recently bought a Ranchero that has a few "issues". Most notable of these is the fact its on a convertible frame. The most obvious thing is that that the rear axle is 2 inches further back, I was initially going to make up some staggered lowering blocks to correct the issue, but that just ain't correct. So I shall go about mounting the spring hangars forward by 2 inches, removing and replacing the (home made) shock absorber cross member to the rear of the axle. Is there anything else I should look out for?
Robin.

SkylinerRon

The convertable frame has an big X crossmember.
Get a set of frame dimension drawings and measure all the points to see where you are at.
Maybe the rear springs were installed backwards.
Goodluck,
Ron.

57ford

The car has an x member so its a convert frame. For the time being I'll move the brackets and spring hangars forward as it has the required holes in the frame. I went round a buddies yesterday who has a dead poverty spec 58 and scored a bunch of parts for pennies, whilst scrounging I noticed that the frame is in decent order, so this maybe an option in the future. Whilst I'm using mine I can restore the 58 frame, then do a body swap.

SkylinerRon

Interesting that Ford drilled both sets of holes.
Guess the side rails were used on all styles of frames.
There are 6 different frames listed in the parts book for 57-58.
FYI, SW, SD and Ranchero are the same.
Goodluck,
Ron.

65kcode

Isn't the convertible frame based off the bigger Fairlane Chassis vs the 300 series that the Ranchero is based off? Also I believe the Retractable frame was even longer, but also had the x frame like the convertible?

Tape measure is a must on this one,

Kevin

SkylinerRon

Yes
Never measured one!
Yes.

Ron.

57ford

The shop manual appears to suggest the extra length is behind the kickup. I need to have a good ole measure up!

SkylinerRon

It is behind (wb is the same).

Ron.

Lou

The 1957 Service Specifications book has all the frame information you are looking for. I belive this book is being reprinted.

57ford

That's good to know.