News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

LED Tail light Bulbs

Started by Fairlane500Ron, 2008-04-25 06:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairlane500Ron

Has anyone tried the new LED Bulbs (1157) ?
I found them at Advance Auto Parts store.
$19.96 for 2 bulbs.  They are red.
Since our tail light lens is red, maybe
white ones would be better.
I don't know if they even make them in white.
I saw only blue and red.
The clerk said they are very bright.
Any one know ?
Thanks
Ron

JPotter57

LED bulbs are super efficient.  You may need to look into getting a flasher made for LED bulbs or your turn signals may not work properly....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Ron & James:

I wonder if the LED flasher would work with the two remaining regular bulbs up in the front turn signals??  Good idea though, the more visible our 57's are to other drivers the safer our rides are.

Bob
57AGIN

KidKourier

Ron,  I saw them in Pep Boys for $9.95 ea. and they do make them in white! I also saw an article in Rod & Custom a couple of months back ( towards the back) about running LED bulbs an stated that they won't work with some older flashers and had a wiring diagram for an alternate method to make them work, I'll see if I can find it in my back issues.  Skip

57 Ford Kustom

I have been using LED bulbs in the rear of my 57 for 2 yrs no problems with the flasher. Flashers are sold by how many bulbs they run that is why when you hook a trailer on to a vehicle the directional lites some times go faster and when a bulb is out the other bulb will not flash. Parts stores sell what is called a variable flasher so it will flash one or more bulbs.
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Fairlane500Ron

Blue Dot
Are your LED's Red or White?
If red,,,Do you think the white ones would be better
for our red Lens?
thanks
Ron

Fairlane500Ron

I searched the internet and came up with this information.
Seems as if this has all the questions covered.
Ron
http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

This says Red bulbs should be used with red lens.

57 Ford Kustom

Ron :006:
   You learn something new every day , my bulbs are white in my simple mind a clear or white bulb will have more lite that a colored bulb. I guess that may not be the case. Also I am not using stock lens, sometimes use the ones in my picture other times use a pair of satellite lens from the Night Prowlers.

TOM :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

4banger

Go to Jamstrait.com for LED bulbs and tell me what you think. I think they will work, but than again what do I know!!!!

4banger

I am replying to my own previous question. I put the red LED tail light bulbs in. They work good with out doing anything else. Just replace the bulbs. I thank myself for taking a chance.